Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in this month's Automobile magazine ( May issue, just out, Features W164) they hint that the cupholder swimming pool is going to get filled with an iDrive-like controller on upcoming models...
anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
could be! good thought. the new 2007 s-class (w221) is rumoured to have the new bmw-like 'i-drive' system. so it is entirely reasonable that the system will be introduced in the s-class next year and then make its way into other models.

and now from the 'i'm so jadded department,' i wonder just HOW many problems THAT new i-drive system is gonna cause? aye-ya-aye! i don't even want to think about it! talk about needing to sit out from buying new the first few years of the w221 production in order to work out the gremlins!

i'm so sorry that the once mighty unwavering benzo has created this quality doubt in my (and others') minds!! it is a real shame that so many from so far are so scared/ have trepidations about buying the new model year of any benzo production line. benzo! i implore you to bring back the quality from the 80s! WOW! talk about off the subject. sorry.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,156 Posts
I’ve played with BMW’s iDrive system and it’s one of those ideas that looks great on paper, but really fails in practice. The thought was to simplify the controls, and while a savvy user can eventually learn that “left-left-up-right-down-tap-tap� will turn on the rear defrost, it’s just not intutitive.

Personally, I think if they want to “simplify� controls, they should just go with touch-screen systems. I recently read about a new touch-screen technology that can actually be used to form tactile buttons on the screen complete with feedback. The main detraction to touch-screens controls in automotive applications is that the driver cannot operate the systems by feel. These new tactile-capable screens could solve that.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I've seen pictures of the new redesigned S-class interior, and MB is switching to the I-drive in their flagship sedan. The interior is sickly BMW 7 series like, but the Benz star on the steering wheel with Benz controls around the whole car give it away.

If you're interested in seeing a picture, go to search. Hit the s-class forum, type in BrentG500 in the "filter by author" and you'll get several posts. You'll find one post that has a picture of the messy Benz interior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts