Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any cup holders in a 1989 MB 420 SEL? I cannot believe MB would put out a car without cup holders.

1989 420 SELMCC

(MCC=Midlife Crisis Cure)

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Are there any cup holders in a 1989 MB 420 SEL? I cannot believe MB would put out a car without cup holders.

1989 420 SELMCC

(MCC=Midlife Crisis Cure)
I don't know about this car but in Europe MBs can be ordered without cup holders and many (I believe most) prefer the car without those. Like myself, I don't want anyone drinking and spilling stuff in my car.

I'm not trying to convince you should do the same, just explaining why a European design car may not have cup holders, specifically one as old as from 1989.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My 1985 190Es had "cup holders" built into the glove box door . . . but I don't think that's what he wants. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I guess I missed the federal regulation that says every car must be equipped with cupholders.:D No really, when did we decide we couldn't drive without having a beverage near at hand? I have yet so see a cupholder that didn't create a nuisance when loaded with a bottle or large cup, or which activitated out of the dash with some kind of fragile, monkey motion mechanism. Fuhgeddaboutit.

·
Registered
332 Posts
when you're driving such fine machine as 1989 MB 420 SEL, it is rude to drink and divert your attention from the interaction with the road. sell the mercedes and buy yourself some lexus.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I belive in Europe, they concentrate on driving not sipping, and is banned. I think that applies to cell phone also. I think cup holders were done for the driver to appease Americans

·
Registered
51 Posts
as stated above, the car is almost 20 years old. almost all cars 20 years ago had a cup holder shortage...not until recent years did people think cupholders were mandatory. my 07 tundra has 9 or 10 at least if i recall, three in the center console, two for the rear seat in the back of the console, and a big bottle holder in each door pocket..but there may be two in the front door pockets...im too lazy to go out and look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Reminds me of something on the History channel, I can't remember the particular show, but one of the conversations with a German automotive engineer when he was first asked about cupholders had the response of, essentially "Why would you want that, you are DRIVING."

It just wasn't something that was considered until recently. I can't remember any in a 1985 Mustang, nor in a 1989 Accord. Of course now you see them clipped to motorcycle handlebars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts