Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320 Elegance Cabriolet
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone out there please help clear up a couple of mysteries for me?

1. My 1997 E 320 does not have centre console cup holders like the ones described on the web site. All I have is a square box. Nothing pops up - except for the lid of the box. There are no circular holders or springs (except for the lid of the box). I Would really appreciate it if someone could show me a pic of this mystery cup holder and how and where it sits on the centre console?

2. Need pics again. How does one access the car battery?

Cheers,

Laksa:confused:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi, Laksa.

Look down in the thread for the DIY battery changeout I just posted, plenty of descriptions and pics.

It's possible someone replaced your cupholder with an aftermarket insert. I've seen them discussed but not installed.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E420
111 Posts
Hi Laksa,
Search the this forum and you'll be glad that you don't have a cup holder there. Could be costly if you are sloppy:)

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
The cup holder assembly goes into the armrest hole and hold only with one slider and one peg from what I remember.
When I bought my wagon, former owners had lot of spill into the hole and whole mechanism was not working, dangling inside. Looks like somebody try to pull it out and didn't know how to reinstall it.
Quite possible laksa that was a case in your car and former owner never put the thing back.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
$58 for a little plastic thing? damn, it costs more than the car battery. people shouldn't drink anything while driving anyway.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
acarter53 said:
Get it quick the guy has 5 :thumbsup:
Would you have the part number?

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
ebay # Item number: 290105726531. I do not know the MB part #.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
I don't think $58 is overprice. That assembly in engineering marvel.
It fold and opens with single push.
Too bad the lower holder is only small cup sized, while upper can adopt mid-size cup, but is not that reliable.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks forum members. You've all been great.

Cheers,

Laksa

·
Registered
W210 E300TD
155 Posts
The Ebay items are far too expensive. Buy one from the dealer parts desk, its much cheaper.

Oh and don't go sticking a super big gulp in there. European car, European cup sizes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kajtek1 said:
I don't think $58 is overprice. That assembly in engineering marvel.
It fold and opens with single push.
Too bad the lower holder is only small cup sized, while upper can adopt mid-size cup, but is not that reliable.
How is it not reliable?

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
laksa said:
How is it not reliable?
The upper holder has flexible "arms" that are quite low as well. It will hold big cup, but center of gravity with full cup will be above the arms.
So on emergency braking the cup will push the arms and flip over. I never had this actually happen, but seeing the cup tilting -put my hand on it.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S350L, 1999 Mercedes E55 AMG, 1997 Mercedes SLK230, 1992 Mercedes 300SE (sold)
236 Posts
Its a pretty neat "toy", with the cupholder hydraulically pops out and holds 2 cups. My E55 doesn't have it (guess the rest of the world except the U.S. don't recommend drinking and driving!). Got mine from a Mercedes auto parts store for about US$36, brand new with the OEM box, but I'd never let anyone drink inside my E55, including myself.

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spilt a small amount of coffee in the black rectangular cavity that holds the black container in the centre console. I wiped everything up. The coffee seemed to be contained in the cavity. How long before I know if have done any damage. I spilt the coffee because I did not have a cup holder nevertheless I was tempting fate.

Cheers

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
2,339 Posts
laksa said:
I spilt a small amount of coffee in the black rectangular cavity that holds the black container in the centre console. I wiped everything up. The coffee seemed to be contained in the cavity. How long before I know if have done any damage. I spilt the coffee because I did not have a cup holder nevertheless I was tempting fate.

Cheers
Go ahead and begin accruing $300/month just in case ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts