Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
Ok. I played with the space between the shifter and ashtray today. I removed the ashtray and the storage cubby. I found I could put a flat floor in the cubby area, across the AC ducts; I used an 8 inch wide piece of cardboard.

I then created a piece going from the bottom of the radio to the top of the wood for the center console. I used 1/2 cellular foam for this.

After doing this, I decided I don’t like this layout. In order to keep the cups from tilting back onto the shifter, I’d need to raise the edge of my foam about an inch. That creates this big, awkward, angular corner. I just don’t like it.

I reassessed the area under the armrest. That looks viable. Though, I also observed how I drink now. I rest my forearm on my armrest, and rest my cup on the raised beige part of the center console while holding it from the top. I’m going to look into the wire cup holder that attaches into the ashtray. If I can adapt that to something that extends to the armrest, that’ll be awesome.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
Oh, and if anyone ever wants the specs on what I made, I sketched this. Though it may be off by 1/4 to 1/2 inch front to back, depending on your material.

..I started to taper in at 2 inches. And I used 1/2 in foam, which required me to angle some cuts top to bottom. Someone using 1/8 inch material, won’t need to do this.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
Yesterday, when removing my ashtray, I looked at it’s size. And I thought, “That really looks like a single DIN.” So last night I looked at various single din sized, fold out cup holders.

There are a few new ones. And they’re pretty inexpensive. But most don’t widen outside the unit, so I expect they’re limited in what they hold.

That said, it looks like Audi/VW has a 2 drink, widening, single din cup holder in a few models. Gonna pick on of those up.

Oh, and this morning when rebuilding a couple AC vacuum pods, I put a spare single DIN storage unit where the ashtray goes. Looks like if I put it all the way in, it’d be a good fit.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
I went to a salvage yard today. There’s a collapsible, spring-loaded, folding cup holder used in some VW’s and Audi’s I wanted to try.

It’s actually 1/2 the height of a single DIN, but it slid right into place (the aftermarket single DIN sized units have a storage area for 1/2 the height). And it sits on something in the back. The cup holder floors drop into our storage cubby and don’t even touch it. And the fold out cup holders do have some expansion before hitting the console.

The biggest issues are: 1) securing the rear of the cup holder so it doesn’t tip, and 2) making a surround so it looks good. And cleaning it up 😉

I’m going to try to adapt the single DIN storage piece I have. But I’d bet one of the new aftermarket single DIN units will fit perfect. And I expect one could convert the cigarette lighter power to a mounted USB port.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
It’s done. I bought another ashtray (didn’t want to ruin mine). I inserted the cup holder into the ashtray surround, and cut the ashtray wood trim to fit the console.

There are a couple fine adjustments/aesthetics still to do (like turning the cigarette lighter power into a mounted USB charger), but I’m happy so far.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts