Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'91 420SEL
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well seems like most of my older cars came with plenty of ash trays, but no cup holder. It was like that in my E38 bimmer as well, and it was an '01!

So today i just decided to do something constructive and make one myself.

I took the sliding wooden cover off and have replaced it with a modified universal type cup holder i had laying around. I cut it up to make it fit. Used a Lexan piece to fit over top and covered things in faux carbon fiber wrap. I couldnt find any black vinal today so i said what the hell. Cf looks decent.

Dunno uf anyine else has though to do this but it looks pretty legit. Now i have no glove box/stash spot. Im wondering if older 126's had glove boxes in the dash before they had an air bag there?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Yes the Gen I's had a glove box where the passenger side Airbag is on Gen II's.

Not a fan of carbon fiber..unless on an airplane or battle tank (applications I have used), but it looks good in the car, now if you were to source some matching Zebrano to cover it with, then it would be great. Maderia might help you match the Zebrano.

The wood just flows IMO.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yes the gen 1's had glove boxes, as well as I assume any model without a passenger airbag.
Nice modification. Looks like it could be factory. i've been thinking about doing something similar, but I have no console box, so I'd probably just cut a piece of wood to the exact size of the console base and router out drink holes and probably some change "ruts" or holes.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Gen 2's without passenger airbags also had a glove box.

I have previously proffered my opinion regarding cup holders or the lack thereof...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1987 300SEL
168 Posts
I made myself a clamp for the handbrake lever on the side near your knee, I made for an iphone so i can GPS it and play music, and another to hold my coffee :D

Easy to do, doesn't look good, but I pack it away when I'm not using it/have others in the car.

·
Registered
w126,2jz gte twin turbo engine,6 speed gearbox, aero 1, zender spoiler, 0 to 100mph 11.5 s, LPG
190 Posts
great job , i love it, for me its a must have.

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
The lack of cup holders is that no one in Germany would drink in the fwd cabin area of a $80,000 car traveling at 125 + miles per hour, espcially if they are the one driving.
They look at us americans traveling over there with our food and drinks in the car and just shake their heads.
The design was not forgotten, it just did not make sense in keeping with social standards of the manufacturers at the time.
Just a little FYI
I an not in any way critizing the idea as the one above looks factory made from the pictures. It is just a different way of thinking from that time period that I wanted to point out.
Good fabrication job.
jimm1009

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,282 Posts
What would be another idea to keep things looking original is to retain the sliding wood lid and when in the open position it reveals a cup holder underneath
Probably not enough room for two cups, but stuff the passenger they can just hang on to theirs
Perhaps an inventive person could adapt a holder that swings (pivots) out of the box to open up into two cup holders when needed (that would be a cool idea in line with an 80's theme)

Yes all the Gen2's with no airbags (as mine are thank goodness) the glovebox lid indent sits 2 cups "really only for when the car is parked"

·
Registered
'91 420SEL
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well in our day and age of canned drinks, bottled drinks and fast food between work, i see the need for cup holders. i usually do not drink or ever eat in my car. but i got to try this out with a fast food cup today and it worked great.

as far as the carbon fiber wrap i have on there, it really goes with something with an all black interior. i did look for some zebra wood veneer, but nothing close to what i have already. i may modify the design some so i can have my wooden cover back on there.

i really need to have my center piece where the gear shift is refinished, as the finish is cracked and coming apart. i'd love to get it refinished. i actually know where a perfect wooden piece is sitting in a trashed 126 at my friends fathers shop. but they seem to think they are going to get it going. i'm going to keep poking at them until i get it though.

well, until i find a wood veneer that looks good or i devise a way to keep the wooden cover on there, it is what it is. looks good but yes it is somewhat our of place with blue leather and zebra wood.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280SE 5-Speed
85 Posts
It is not the lack of cup holders in the W126 because my German model has two cup holders. Mercedes definitely did not forget to put cup holders in the W126.

The problem is the cup holders preform very poorly. As you see in the picture, they barely hold a cup of soda in place. During moderate cornering, the soda can can just fly off there. If you have to slam the brakes you get soda all over the inside of your glove box.

As to philosophy, cup holders are more useful in the United States because we have more opportunity to drive really long stretches. If I am driving 8 hrs per day for 7 days, I do not want to pull over at a rest stop every 60 minutes to take a sip from my drink.

I like the thought and resourcefulness of your idea but I wish it didn't take the away the storage because I like having that shelf.

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,136 Posts
Those glovebox indents are only for sipping when parked.

I do successfully manage to perch cups in my central rolltop box sometimes, but my interior is really clean so i dont risk it often...

·
Registered
1987 560 SEL, 128,000 miles
37 Posts
These aren't fancy but handy and practical. Plus I didn't have to put holes in the trim if I decide to take them out. Just make sure they're closed if you move the seats forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 420SEL
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i have decided that my next thing to do is match my cup holder piece to the rest of the interior. i will be remaking the top piece and extending it down more so i can mount my switches there, instead of having the locking piece still installed there.

my plan is to find some vinal that matches the blue my interior color is, and cover the piece so it looks original. i do like the CF look, but not on this car. its is way out of place and i'm trying to make things look original and up class.

pictures to come once i've done this. likely in the next few weeks when i can make time to do so.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,227 Posts
I’m brining this back from the dead because living in Florida, I always have water with me. So I’m looking at adding cup holders to my 1989 300SE.

Today I looked at the various normal places. Apparently I’m shorter than most people, because my armrest extends over my rear window switches. And it’s too low for me to put one of my tervis cups there. And my knee would hit anything mounted around the center console.

I could get away with those Fischer units on the door card. But I was wondering about the area between the gear shift and the ash tray. I don’t smoke, so I’ve never even opened the ashtray. That said, I’d make it removable, just in case.

It looks like I could remove the trim cubby there and have a pretty wide area to work with. Even with the trim cubby’s curved bottom, it looks like I can get 2 cups in there. And still access all my radio controls. So removing it should be golden.

Anyone do this? Cuz I haven’t even seen any mention of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts