Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
E320 1997 I6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a W210 1997, and I would like to ask about the double din and cup holder,

My car doesn't come with a cup holder, i found the cup holder at the dealer, but I don't know is it going to fit ? or do I need to do some modifications ?

Secondly, the double din conversion,

I found the coge ( reinforcement ) and the trim wood, is it just removing the old single din and placing the new one ? or there is some modification that has to be done ?

Regards. :)

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,611 Posts
Cup holders in the 210 are regarded as a bad idea, since spilling liquid in and around your gear selector will kill your car.

No modification is required for a cupholder...just don't do it.

There may be some modification for the double din conversion. Look in the stickies.

·
Registered
E320 1997 I6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cup holders in the 210 are regarded as a bad idea, since spilling liquid in and around your gear selector will kill your car.

No modification is required for a cupholder...just don't do it.

There may be some modification for the double din conversion. Look in the stickies.
Thanks a lot for your advice, but am really interested in that cup holder , I saw it at the dealer, it doesn't sounds that it is going to fit, and since its expensive, I preferred to ask about it.

Do you know anyone who's car doesn't come with the cupholder and it fit with no problems ?

Sorry for annoying, Regards.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,611 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advice, but am really interested in that cup holder , I saw it at the dealer, it doesn't sounds that it is going to fit, and since its expensive, I preferred to ask about it.

Do you know anyone who's car doesn't come with the cupholder and it fit with no problems ?

Get the part number. If it's the correct part it will fit.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

I think the part you're missing is that he's trying to protect you from yourself.

The shifter module is very sensitive to liquids. Just a small amount will stuff you in limp mode and may require replacement of an $800 component. And it is RIGHT UNDER the stupid cup holder.

Add to that the fact that the cup holder, while admittedly a very slick design with the pop-up-and-out mechanism, is poorly executed. They are not terribly strong, so they fail. Thus, even if YOU are exceedingly careful about putting a beverage in it, it could break and dump your drink ... where? Oh, yeah, RIGHT ON THE SHIFTER.

That's the reason most of us no longer use them. Mine broke a long time ago, and while I managed to fix it (so that it doesn't fly across the passenger seat when it's opened), I never use it. On the rare occasion that I drink something in the car, it stays in my lap and away from the shifter.

Now, since you sound like a gambler, go ahead and get it. So long as you have the spring/hinge little door over the compartment in front of the armrest, it will fit in there (assuming it is the factory part). And I hope we never get to say "I told you so." :p :rolleyes:

As to the double-din conversion, it's been done, with pictures. I think it's in the stickies. Have you yet looked for it?

Good luck.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
To all the cup holder naysayers,

As Mercedes' first cup holder, it's not without its flaws. However, that's no reason to go without it. I can't live without mine. I've never spilled anything on the center console, either. You just need to be smart about what beverages you put where.

The part number for the cup holder is B6 6 92 0101.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
To all the cup holder naysayers,

As Mercedes' first cup holder, it's not without its flaws. However, that's no reason to go without it. I can't live without mine. I've never spilled anything on the center console, either. You just need to be smart about what beverages you put where.

The part number for the cup holder is B6 6 92 0101.
It actually wasn't the first, the 202 beat it by a nose. Or an ounce. ;)

I wasn't even using mine when it broke. Just popped it up to show someone, and the reticulating extension spun all the way up and shot halfway into my passenger's lap.

She wasn't impressed...neither was I.

There is a fix somewhere on the forum and I used it to put it back together, but the thing is solely for looks, not functionality, sort of like the old Motorola phone in the armrest. :D

Good luck with yours...but believe me, it has nothing to do with how smart you are. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
The W210 isn't the first Mercedes with a cup holder, but it does have the same first cup holder design as the W202 if I'm not mistaken.

I've already had to replace it once, but that was because I accidentally smacked into it with something. It is fragile; I'll admit it.

By being smart, I meant don't put a large, full, open drink in the top holder and expect it not to spill as you go around a corner. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
^^^ The one in the 215 is a piece of crap, too, though it's much cooler in the execution ;)

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
Your 210 doesn't have a craptastic pop-up cupholder between the gear selector and the center arm rest/console?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts