Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what temperature the CTS needs to read for ECU to stop using the preprogrammed warm up mixtures and to start using oxygen sensor, maf read outs for fuel mixtures?

Also, anyone know where this is located? Anyone have a picture?

My sensor seems to be warming up very quickly. The read out of my scanner said 120F after only 3 minutes of driving this morning. (it was 19F this morning in boston.)

I have a feeling this may be causing my hesitation problem as described in this post. (All the codes went away after replacing MAF for a second time and installing a new Purge valve but hesitation/surging symptoms remain.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I found it

So this is the coolant temperature sensor:

WITH a cold engine remove the radiator cap, squeeze & hold the top radiator hose & re-install the rad cap. By doing that you will create a vacuum so the sensor can be removed w/o losing coolant. Pull up on this metal clip using a screwdriver & the sensor will come out:

Here is a picture of the new one ($25 at the dealer but can be found online for half that):

Here is a picture of the old one:

I lost about a shot glass worth of coolant and I suspect some air entered the system.

The clip is difficult to get back on. I'm still not 100% sure mine is back in correctly. I have my fingers crossed that it won't pop out.

Also, the part number is 000 542 51 18 (and for searchability, these alternatives: 000.542.51.18 or 0005425118)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts