Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 112CDi Vito Van
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is possible to access Tacho, Fuel flow and Throttle inputs at one of the Wiring Connectors located at various spots in the vehicle? I have a 112CDi.

I assume that since the throttle is electronic all the requirements should be in place to accept an aftermarket cruise control.

Has anyone fitted a non genuine cruise control?

Rob K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why not do it the easy way. Get a kit from K-Mart that uses a cable pull (vaccuum operat...

Why not do it the easy way. Get a kit from K-Mart that uses a cable pull (vaccuum operated) and use it to pull down the accellerator. These kits are ace. I used one on a VW Transporter with ex. results.

·
Registered
2003 112CDi Vito Van
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cable pull C'Control

I actually have one of these which worked very well for over 10years in my old Daihatsu Rocky!

With the Diesel however, there is no throttle to operate and the accelerator pedal is 'fly by wire'. From my investigations, the genuine unit is either just the addition of the control stalk, allowing activation of the cruise functionality that may already be part of the engine management or an extra black box to process tacho, etc for the eng'mgt.

A crude solution would be using the vacuum unit directly on the acc'pedal. This isn't my first preference.

Regards

Rob K

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have priced the genuine unit, as you probably have too. A t that price you would hope ...

I have priced the genuine unit, as you probably have too. A t that price you would hope that it wasn't just an extra column switch! I was suggesting the crude alternative. I prefer to think it is a simple and elegant solution rather than crude. The pull cable from the vaccuum unit can come up through the floor to be attatched to the fly by wire throttle. I also have a "fix" for the lack of brake feel too if you like. Total cost of fix $3.00. Also some suitable springs to lower the van 50mm can be had from any wreckers in OZ.

·
Registered
2003 112CDi Vito Van
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D'brakes!!

I must admit that the brake felt much better in my VW Transporter. Lighter and better sensation as to how hard the pads were getting their "faces" wiped on those discs.

With regard to the loud pedal, I'm hoping to do an autopsy on that in the near future. Using the Vacuum unit on the pedal would be OK as when the unit is operating the throttle flap in a normal installation, the pedal will tend to droop in response to the throttle movement.

One must be very careful with these new vehicles when contemplating any mods or attachments to the electrical system. There are digital control signals floating aroudn for engine/transmission management as well as the safety gear such as Airbag control. Could be dangerous or costly if something goes wrong. Hence the procurement of a service manual would be high priority.

Regards

Rob K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cruis control

I also have a "fix" for the lack of brake feel too if you like. Total cost of fix $3.00. Also some suitable springs to lower the van 50mm can be had from any wreckers in OZ.
Phantom,
I am intrigued by your comments can you post the details of the brake mod and the type of springs.

Regards Whitworth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts