Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise control in my 95 e320 'died' last night on the highway. When I pull up on the lever I can feel it kind of lurch forward and nothing. It's like it almost engages and then fails.
I know it's not catastrophic but I do love my cruise control and I use it quite frequently.
On a side note, could it be the Cruise Control Amplifier? My old 190e had a dead Amplifier and it would randomly red line while sitting in park. Will the E320 have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Yes it could be the amp....plenty of threads on 'baking', re-soldering and getting it rebuilt. Also could be the wiring in your actuator. Most folks start with the amp and if that doesn't work, go to the actuator.

Kevin

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
There is NO cruise control amp on any HFM driven engine. The cruise is controlled by the ECU and the electronic throttle body.

Being a '95 with the eco junk wiring issue, my money is likely throttle body (assuming the main engine wiring harness has already been replaced). Had the same issue on mine, which couldn't be resolved until the ETA got swapped out for a new one. Fixed it instantly.

Check this link for more info on the ETA/cruise control wiring issue.
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/M104WireHarness

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
There is NO cruise control amp on any HFM driven engine. The cruise is controlled by the ECU and the electronic throttle body.

Being a '95 with the eco junk wiring issue, my money is likely throttle body (assuming the main engine wiring harness has already been replaced). Had the same issue on mine, which couldn't be resolved until the ETA got swapped out for a new one. Fixed it instantly.
Excellent...didn't realize that on the later models.:eek: How much was the new ETA?

Kevin

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
My '95 has ASR. Those throttle bodies are almost $2000/piece through AutohausAZ and such. Much higher from the dealer of course.

After a very long search, I lucked out and found a brand new one in the box for $350.

The non-ASR throttle bodies are still expensive but not nearly as bad as the ASR ones.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Wow...you did get lucky. Have to do a lot of searching and scrounging for that kind of a deal! $2000....incredible....surely there are professional services that rebuild them for a lot less?

Kevin

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
....surely there are professional services that rebuild them for a lot less?

Kevin
Yes, there are. Programa is one of them that comes to mind.

Been told that the rebuilt units just don't hold up over the long haul, so when I found the brand new genuine MB piece it was a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Yes, there are. Programa is one of them that comes to mind.

Been told that the rebuilt units just don't hold up over the long haul, so when I found the brand new genuine MB piece it was a no brainer.
I've heard that as well, but in reference to somebody re-wiring the actuator themselves. I wouldn't deal with a refurbished unit unless it had a decent warranty. I've been done that road before with starters, alternators etc. The company needs to have a good rep as well...not just a paper warranty.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Thank you for all the replies!
I must say that I was prepared for the more expensive situation.
To tell you the truth, given the market value of the cars, for two grand I'd live without cruise control, or maybe find a different car. I tried the oven 'bake' trick on my amp and completely ruined it. Jim sent me another one that has not been tampered with and that will go to the rebuilder.

Kevin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. $2,000 is 2/3 of the price I paid for the car. I'm always looking for people parting out E320's (especially junk yards) so maybe I'll luck out.
Just to recap, I need an entire throttle body?
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
I agree. $2,000 is 2/3 of the price I paid for the car. I'm always looking for people parting out E320's (especially junk yards) so maybe I'll luck out.
Just to recap, I need an entire throttle body?
Thanks again.
Follow what sbaert told you and read the link he provided; he has done this successfully. My system is older ('92) and the amp is separate. In the beginning, you were talking about an "amp", so I threw in my two cents....which is not relevant in your case.

Kevin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your patience with me (particularly sbaert and real1sheppard). I'm rather new with this. Also, I changed my spark plugs today and noticed the wiring harness isn't new it's simply taped up so the wires to don't crack. So, I'll start there before it gets any worse.

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
IF you intent to find a used harness, be aware that there were quite a few running changes in the last years of W124 production resulting in different harnesses, throttle bodies, etc.

Also, a ASR harness/throttle body does not work on on a non-ASR equipped car and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
There is a "Hall Effect" sensor on the back of the instrument panel that monitors the speed from the speedometer. My cruise control on the '93 300CE went out and this was the culprit.
I also have played the ETA game. BBA Remanufacturing in the Boston area is a world wide re-builder of auto assemblies. They rebuilt/rewired my unit for about $250. They also give a warranty. There is a re-builder in Florida but the name escapes me. The other alternative is to haunt the wrecking yards and see if you can find the CORRECT one from a low mileage car. They are not interchangeable.
Anziani

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
There is a "Hall Effect" sensor on the back of the instrument panel that monitors the speed from the speedometer. My cruise control on the '93 300CE went out and this was the culprit.
I also have played the ETA game. BBA Remanufacturing in the Boston area is a world wide re-builder of auto assemblies. They rebuilt/rewired my unit for about $250. They also give a warranty. There is a re-builder in Florida but the name escapes me. The other alternative is to haunt the wrecking yards and see if you can find the CORRECT one from a low mileage car. They are not interchangeable.
Anziani
+1 on that Hall Effect sensor, as it can be the culprit as well. Your big deal and expense at present is your wiring harness; upper and lower. Doesn't sound like it was ever replaced and is virtually a time bomb in the 124's that had the eco-friendly wiring material. If it were me South Paw, I'd get that attended to before doing anything else, as it has to be upgraded and become your baseline repair for anything else electrical.

Kevin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again enlightening me! Thanks. I meant that I would look into finding a used ETA. I intend on purchasing a wiring harness NEW- only. Electrical components should always be replaced with new ones. And now that I know how critical the harness is, I'll work on that first. Is it possible that a new harness will clear up other minor issues (i.e the cruise control, and the "light out" indicator on the dash even though all the lights are working)?

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Once again enlightening me! Thanks. I meant that I would look into finding a used ETA. I intend on purchasing a wiring harness NEW- only. Electrical components should always be replaced with new ones. And now that I know how critical the harness is, I'll work on that first. Is it possible that a new harness will clear up other minor issues (i.e the cruise control, and the "light out" indicator on the dash even though all the lights are working)?
Impossible to say, but you've GOT to get a decent, 100% working harness in there to establish your baseline.

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts