Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SEC
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if your actuator or vacum is gone on your cruise mine surges up and down when i put it on
thanks

·
Registered
560sel
122 Posts
Usually it is the amp, many people have success by resoldering the circuit board. I sent mine in to GDL for repair.
You can get more specific info by providing year and model of your car.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
27 Posts
1998 280, right? I checked your profile and you had a headbeam problem with the same car?
anyhoo, I just replaced both my actuator and amplifier on my '90 560 SEL. here is my story. same symptoms and then it failed altogether, leading me to the actuator, which we tested with a voltage meter to determine if it had a lower draw than specified. It did and I got one used from a reputable recycler for less than $50 delivered! it lists for $225 most places. Then it still didn't work because often the amplifier will go as well if there is a ground issue with the actuator. I got an amplifier from the same source and it solved the problem. Actually, the guy sent me 3 of them because he knows that used electrical parts can be less than reliable, and all 3 work! lucky for me. this part lists for $225 as well. For less than $100 total I am a cruising guy again. Good luck and YES these are easily removed and replaced with simple tools. Amplifier is under the driver dash with a large recepticle plugged into it and the actuator is on the engine. it requires a little more than wrenching the old one off, careful not to pull to hard on the swivel union, and attatching the new one in iuts place. an easy electrical connection rounds off a 20 minute job.

good luck, let us know.
Goody

·
Registered
1990 500SEC
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies and thanks goody for info the E280 was a friends car, my car and my cruise problem is a 1990 500SEC ,

THANKS FROM IRELAND

1 - 4 of 4 Posts