Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cruise control, how often do you use it?

• Daily

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every So Often

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Never

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my cruise control every day and i'm wondering how many others use it and how often. My driving patern is so consistant that I hit 65 mph within the same 20 foot distance on the highway every morning. I'm hoping that the results of this poll will help me confirm something that I noticed of our beloved W-126's. So vote up, How often do you use your cruise control?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,139 Posts
My commute is on non-highway main roads with lots of traffic lights.

Not much opportunity for maintaining constant speed.

The cruise control is insurance against really big fines when traveling the highways.[8D]

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
Mine does not work at this moment. I suspect cruise control unit has deteriorated soldering.

Even if it did work, I hardly use them since there are too many cars going at various speeds on the highway where I live. In general, I find it all but impossible to use cruise control in NY metro area.

Which section of Connecticut highway do you commute?

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The central part of CT (Luckliy I don't have to go through Hartford[:)] ) Route 72 is on my daily run although a few others that are usually clear during the day are I-84 past east hartford and I-384 is almost always dead from what i've seen. I-84 west of Hartford towards waterbury though....what a mess, avoid it at all costs[xx(]

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The central part of CT (Luckliy I don't have to go through Hartford[:)] ) Route 72 is on my daily run although a few others that are usually clear during the day are I-84 past east hartford and I-384 is almost always dead from what i've seen. I-84 west of Hartford towards waterbury though....what a mess, avoid it at all costs[xx(]

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
I use the cruise whenever I can - which is seldom in SoCal. When possible, though, I like to grab the left lane and set it at 80 - then I only have to yield for a few speed-demons, and go around the silly SUV-ers (especially the Escalades) who cannot (or will not) maintain 80 up the hills, and refuse to yield to faster traffic. When we do road trips, we are often blasting hundreds of miles at night - that's when the cruise really comes in handy.

BTW, Fulcrum, it seems that the HTML in your signature is faulty - check the "target=_blank" stuff at the bottom. It looks like you are missing a double-quote, or have an extra one where there should not be.

-Robert

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,392 Posts
Hi Fulcrum525,

I use the cruise nearly every time I take the car out. Yesterday, I uncovered & took the 560 out for the first time since November. My wife & I went to Maine - L.L. Bean's & Brunswick area, went through about a tankful... just to get the fur off the plugs...

I'd nearly forgotten how great it is to drive it.

Hey Fulcrum, do you stop at Rein's Deli off 84 in Vernon, CT? I really like that place.

What have you noticed: "results of this poll will help me confirm something that I noticed of our beloved W-126's"?

Cheers, MBL

I call the photo below '560SEA'.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer the double quote question...i'm on a 56k and it frose when I submitted the post so I re-sent it thinking that it didn't get through. Opps[:p] The observation that i've had is simple. Whenever your out high-way driving its the same thing. A big pack of morons all bunched up, then a big open space, followed by another pack of morons. What I noticed is that whenever I see another W-126 on the other side of the highway he's always in the same place as me, right in the middle of that big open space. Could the cruise control be the reason why? (Because it certainly works for me[:D] )

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello again, Fulcrum...

I've sent you a PM about the signature, since this is not an HTML forum... Sorry for the HTML intrusion, I suppose it is an occupational hazard! [:eek:)]

Anyway, I wish I could use cruise like that... but although the average speed on these freeways runs 75-85, unless I want to stay at 70, I need to maneuver around the slowpokes in the left and second-from-the-left lanes, and almost always slow down. I guess I'm just another Benz driver in a hurry!

-Robert

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
Yes, west of Hartford to Waterbury is always a mess; too many cars, only two lanes, and idiots who hog the left lane at65mph thinking they're breaking the law and being bad.

I do love the section past Hartford especially the HOV lane on I-84. With my wife and my daughter in tow, I am eligible to drive on it and it's a blast.

Road trips... that makes sense. I miss that experience of driving 8 hour shifts - cruise control definitely makes sense in that context.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
mine doesn't work either, what could it be? it works sometimes... if i activate it, it will add 10mph until setting, and sometimes it will disengage completely. sometimes it will not set a speed at all, what could it be. is it a do-it-yourself.

·
Registered
88 420 SEL
317 Posts
"set it and let it" i say... Up here in the NW we have 3-lanes between major cities, so I sit in the middle on cruise at 73mph (70's the posted speed.)

Sure wish I was in Montana!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
blue420sel - 4/19/2005 11:47 PM

mine doesn't work either, what could it be? it works sometimes... if i activate it, it will add 10mph until setting, and sometimes it will disengage completely. sometimes it will not set a speed at all, what could it be. is it a do-it-yourself.
The cc amp may need to be replaced or resoldered. It is DIY but it is also PITA. [:(]

I use it whenever I’m on the freeway going through town; it keeps me out of trouble and is supposed to save gas. I used to think the stalk controller was odd since I was used to wheel mounted controls on cars I had in another lifetime, but I’ve actually gotten good at controlling the speed without disengaging the system. It’s actually very clever and easy to use.
[:)]

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
blue420sel - 4/19/2005 10:47 PM

If you're handy with a soldering iron and want to risk losing your "core" value if it doesn't work and you need to exchange it, check this out.
http://www.mindspring.com/~houlihan/merc/cruise.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts