Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a fault that my w140 500se has always had. Cruise works perfectly at any speed on an incline or on the flat. You get over the top of a hill/incline, and the cruise control cuts out as the car comes down the other side.

I thought it was just an odd quirk with my my 500, however, my w140 s280 has now developed the exact same fault.

Has anyone else come across this? I cannot find this fault on any other thread. All four tyres on each car are the same size.

Any help / pointers would be most helpful. Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Hey Scrap, are you getting 'air' over the top? If the traction control comes on it'll cancel the cruise ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scrap, are you getting 'air' over the top? If the traction control comes on it'll cancel the cruise ;)
Heheh - if only! Nah, it does it on the motorways - gentle rolling hills etc.
There is a hump-back bridge near us that I can get all four wheels off the ground in my wifes MMC Smart, but it's best not to go into that here ;)

And besides, the 500se is a '92 and the S280 is guttless anyway, so neither have traction control on them!

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
hmm what year is S280, also how is the cruise lever, is it nice and stiff or is it easy to move? On my W124 i had similar issue the switch kinda broke and the lever could freely "flap" around...what iam trying to say is maybe the motion of going over the hill moves the lever and cancels the CC. Its probably more likely the switch/lever and they are easy to find at some wreckers and for you it should be easy to replace (that steering wheel bolt is a bitch tho)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm what year is S280, also how is the cruise lever, is it nice and stiff or is it easy to move? On my W124 i had similar issue the switch kinda broke and the lever could freely "flap" around...what iam trying to say is maybe the motion of going over the hill moves the lever and cancels the CC. Its probably more likely the switch/lever and they are easy to find at some wreckers and for you it should be easy to replace (that steering wheel bolt is a bitch tho)
Cheers for the reply Miloking. S280 is a '95 - first of the face-lift models. Both switches are in good condidition and free from the flap... Umm, perhaps I could have phrased that better!

It must be something electrical as the revs drop off; sending an error or something to the cruise?

Do the cruise amps suffer dry solder joints like they do on the w126 cruise amps? If so, could someone please let me know where these amps are located on a RHD w140?

·
Registered
mercedes w140 420 s
56 Posts
i found that when i had cruise control on i cornered hard and that made it cancel. Just a thought, also how fast was you going when it cut out

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i found that when i had cruise control on i cornered hard and that made it cancel. Just a thought, also how fast was you going when it cut out
This is just simple motorway cruising - 70-80mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guess is u replaced ur brake lights bulbs from a auto store.

The cruise uses the copper ring on the brake bulbs to cut cruise. U need to go to a MB dealership and purchase a set of brake light bulbs and that would most probably solve ur problem.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The cruise uses the copper ring on the brake bulbs to cut cruise. U need to go to a MB dealership and purchase a set of brake light bulbs and that would most probably solve ur problem.
Interesting thought. Cheers for your comment. I have replaced bulbs on both cars recently. So what is different from Mercedes bulbs that you don't get on standard car-shop replacements?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts

Interesting theory.. BUT..If you dont touch the pedal.. the system wont know..however. the load sensor on the gearbox would, I think you should check your connections and the Vac pipes on the RH side.. just a thought, we are talking about the led sleds you have ?

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
I always thought the cruise cancels when you apply the brake but didnt know it was cancelling when the brake light came on and not by the actual brakes being applied

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting theory.. BUT..If you dont touch the pedal.. the system wont know..however. the load sensor on the gearbox would, I think you should check your connections and the Vac pipes on the RH side.. just a thought, we are talking about the led sleds you have ?
Will have a look into this. Thank you.

Led sleds? Well, the 500se is my lowrider and only used at weekends these days, but the S280 is a bog standard daily...

I always thought the cruise cancels when you apply the brake but didnt know it was cancelling when the brake light came on and not by the actual brakes being applied
I think most cruise controls cut out when they receive a signal from the brake light circuit, but the more I think about it, this can't be a problem with the bulbs as a couple of people say above. However, I have made sure the bulbs have a good contact, just as a matter of maintenance - made no difference! Gearbox load sensor does sound like a potential problem area though. Will report back shortly...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts