Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please refresh my memory on how to remove the gearshift selector knob.

1999 ML430...............Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The conical little chrome sleeve on the bottom?

Grab it and twist, I think clockwise. It will rotate about 60-75 degrees and then drop down (it stays on the knob, though). Then wiggle the knob a little to loosen it up, and pull straight up.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
Twist the locking ring at the bottom to the left to release it and then the shifter handle should be easy to remove.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
1: Grab it and twist, I think clockwise
2: Twist the locking ring at the bottom to the left

So witch way did you twist it? clockwise or counter clockwise??

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 99 ML the locking ring is made of dense black plastic. By using both hands and firmly grasping the locking ring you can 'unscrew' the ring by turning to the left (counter-clockwise, looking down). The ring drops down and then with a steady upward pull and a little wiggling the gearshift knob comes off. Installation is the reverse.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
I should have said counter clockwise, but assumed that unless the truck was upside down that left is counter clockwise from any angle on the shifter stem as long as the tires were on the ground and not in the air. :D

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know...afaik...when you are discussung left/right/etc on a vehicle ..you are always to assume that it is relative to sitting in the drivers seat.

Sooooo, if you did roll the ML over and all four tires were up in the air and....if you were in the drivers seat and you STILL needed to remove the gearshift knob, you would STILL turn the locking ring counter-clockwise to remove.

Sorry for the redundancy..glad we cleared that up !!! ;) :)

·
Registered
1999 ML320
322 Posts
While we are on the subject of shift knobs, I replaced my wooden knob with a leather one. Removing the old one required a considerable amount of "upward thrust" after releasing the locking collect. (by "upward", I mean the car hadn't rolled over so the force was towards the roof but if it had rolled, the force would still be towards the roof but downwards.)

I digress. The point of my post is that, when installed, both knobs were a little loose on the rod. There is about 5 degrees of play either way. Is this common or do I have 2 dud knobs?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
322 Posts
Answer is I had 2 dud knobs. I bought another leather one off e-bay which was "near new". No movement at all after it was installed.

I suspect that the knobs get damaged when people try to remove them by unscrewing from the shaft instead of pulling upward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts