1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML 350 BT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions or Solutions?
MB Crossbars coming in around $300.
I like Thule and Yakima products but not sure they have ones that fit 2012.

Anybody commit yet?

·
Registered
2012 ML350BT / 1988 BMW M3
3 Posts
I went with Thule 450 Crossroad and the 58" square load bars for my 2012 ML350 Bluetec for the following reasons:

- I'm a long time satisfied Thule user, with existing Thule attachments. The Thule load bars have been bomb proof, and I still have two sets of bars of different lengths in good condition from 22 and 12 years ago. I would have reused one of them if they'd been 58".

- I went with the square Thule bars as I did not like the look of the new Rapid Aero bars, though they are supposedly quieter, and I did not want to invest in adapters to use the Aero bars with my existing accessories (new Thule accessories do not need adapters)

- the Crossroad roof rail adapter is super easy to install/remove. It can be used on any car with raised roof rails (so it's likely I can use it on other vehicles in the future)

- I did not like the look of MB loadbars, and it is not transferable to other vehicles

- The Yakima Whispbar has clearance issues with the pano roof

It's the first time using the Crossroad adapter for me, but it has been solid with no loosening during a recent 1800km trip with 160lbs in the cargo box. I'm happy with my choice and purchase.

I have some pics of the car with the setup here --> Pics: Thule Load Bars and Cargo Box on 2012 ML350BT - MBWorld.org Forums

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2012 ML 350 BT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detail.
I too am liking the way you think about the future of the rack. I do think I will go with the thule and the aero bars. I don't have the pano roof so I think I will be ok with them.
your ride looks good
cheers

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
Here's another thread to review: Roof Rack set up? - MBWorld.org Forums. I just picked up the OEM ones, as I had on my '06. Not as many accessory options as some of the others, but good for my needs. They've revised the mounting now so you don't need a tool (hex driver) anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts