Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden, my 450SL decided to start missing. Thought a new set of plugs would be a nice thing to do for it. Drivers side 2nd from front plug came out no sweat, but no matter what I do, the new plug binds up after about two full turns. I tried to put in the original plug, but same-o. Any ideas as to what to do? I tried search with no luck.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
smack said:
All of a sudden, my 450SL decided to start missing. Thought a new set of plugs would be a nice thing to do for it. Drivers side 2nd from front plug came out no sweat, but no matter what I do, the new plug binds up after about two full turns. I tried to put in the original plug, but same-o. Any ideas as to what to do? I tried search with no luck.
The threads could just be munged a little. You could try a tap of the same size and thread as the spark plug, to see if you can clean up the threads. If that doesn't work it gets ugly.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,720 Posts
Did you remove the plugs while the engine was still warm?

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cold

nutz4benz said:
Did you remove the plugs while the engine was still warm?
It rested overnite and I pulled the plug in the morning while it was cold. And the rest of that story is.....?

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,884 Posts
I'd find any possible way to look into the plug socket and take tiiiiime. A mini camera, spy video bugs etc...
You may discover that small problem is trying to become expensive,if rushing

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Djenka018 said:
I'd find any possible way to look into the plug socket and take tiiiiime. A mini camera, spy video bugs etc...
You may discover that small problem is trying to become expensive,if rushing
Good advice Djenka. Patience is a virtue, enjoyed by too few.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
ScottinSoCal said:
The threads could just be munged a little. You could try a tap of the same size and thread as the spark plug, to see if you can clean up the threads. If that doesn't work it gets ugly.
The danger there is dropping something damaging into your cylinder.
I would follow Djenka's advice here. Ere, (sic) on the side of caution.
No sawzalls allowed.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Roto-rooter

Actually a good idea. I do have one of those dentists-type mirrors. What a dunce - I forgot all about that. Good idea. Thanx guyz.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,221 Posts
I had to "clean" the threads on three outta 6 when I change my plugs. I ran into the same problem, Smack. I used a shop vac to minimize shavings while I was tapping and then attached a smaller tube the the shop vac using Man's tool #1 (duck tape) and did the best I could inside the cylinder. I then USED A TORQUE WRENCH to re-install. Probably something not done previously.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just don't want to force em

nobby said:
I had to "clean" the threads on three outta 6 when I change my plugs. I ran into the same problem, Smack. I used a shop vac to minimize shavings while I was tapping and then attached a smaller tube the the shop vac using Man's tool #1 (duck tape) and did the best I could inside the cylinder. I then USED A TORQUE WRENCH to re-install. Probably something not done previously.
Braver man than I. I am just afraid to force it. I think I'll let the indie do it. Then it his problem. Small investment.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,160 Posts
Unless he just crams it in and or some other short cut. Then it's your problem. I hope he is trustworthy...

Good luck with the repair!

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Straight shooter

Ears said:
Unless he just crams it in and or some other short cut. Then it's your problem. I hope he is trustworthy...

Good luck with the repair!
They're straight shooters. I have asked for some work to be done that he talked me out of as unnecessary on both of my Mercedes.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,720 Posts
smack said:
It rested overnite and I pulled the plug in the morning while it was cold. And the rest of that story is.....?
Nevermind,you did the right thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts