Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ! Some time back I promised you the story of my front cross member replacement. I bought the 73 450 SL around 1981. I was a bit younger, I'd like to think dumber, but in light of the rust repair, that probably isn't so ! I loved these cars and at the time the going price was 15k to 25k. I couldn't afford the high price spread and came across the car I have for 15k. Time would tell why I got it for the lower of the spread. Now as Paul Harvey used to say: "The rest of the story !!"

I had zoomed some gal to dinner at a restaurant in downtown Portland Oregon. This place was at the base of the Freemont bridge in Old town. The Freemont bridge is a double deck bridge that is a arch type bridge, probably more than a 100 feet off the water. (the significance of that in a bit ). I am sorry to admit that I had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner and left to head back to my place in Vancouver. Once on the upper deck of the Fremont, some joker in a Jaguar pulled up beside me and started egging me on. Having a broad in the right seat, and a couple of glasses of wine, of course you can guess what came next. We keep the pedal to the metal and when we hit the left hand corner of the bridge, we were going over 130 mph. I bested him by a few lengths and headed home about 10 miles away uneventfully.
Parking my car in the driveway I retired for the evening. In the morning, I went out and started the car, put it in reverse and started to back out of the driveway. At that instant all hell broke loose. I slammed on the brakes and got out. The front drivers wheel was sitting at a precarious position and the frame was sitting on the ground. That was a religious experience to say the least. Less than 10 miles previous, I was going over a hundred miles per hour in a hard left hand turn on Portland's highest bridge over cold dark water. I guess I'm getting my just rewards with all the rust repair !
Calling the dealership, checking on parts I could not possible afford, I was switched to the service manager. A great guy named Rufus @ Rasmussen Mercedes in Portland. He stunned me by making the following statement: "let me tell you what happened. You were parked, shifted into reverse and the front suspension collapsed" I was speechless. The next statement was: " Give me your address and we will send a rollback to retrieve the car". "The car will be repaired free of charge" I have never been more stunned. (except when the suspension broke) They took the car back, called later and indicated that I had a couple of non covered bushings and a flex plate that looked sketchy. I was so pleased about the other that I gave them the go ahead.
To this day, I thank my lucky stars that the suspension held together that last 11 miles ! Course having that thing go end over end off the Fremont bridge at 130 mph would have saved me all this crazy rust repair !!:D

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,605 Posts
Ahh... The indiscretions of our youth. Ie. dumb things we have done. Of course I have never done anything like that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
And to think. That can happen to anyone with a '71-'85 SL.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D. Yup. Like Forest Gumps mama says: " Stupid is as stupid does ". I can't imagine anyone driving an unreinforced car. I'd bet a few guys have bit the dust when those things let go. Course Rufus said he never heard of one failing while going forward ! It's good that you guys keep advising everybody to verify that repair is done, and if not, doing it! Could save a few guys a bad day!

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Ahh... The indiscretions of our youth. Ie. dumb things we have done. Of course I have never done anything like that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
And to think. That can happen to anyone with a '71-'85 SL.
....and improved design or not, what makes you think it couldn't happen to an 86-89? :D

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,605 Posts
....and improved design or not, what makes you think it couldn't happen to an 86-89? :D
If you follow that logic why reinforce any of them?
Don't worry...be happy. Don't worry... be happy.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts