Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,581 Posts
Thats a lot out of whack. Is it because it was removed and then placed back badly? Is it crooked because the alignment is that screwed? If the first one, you can remove the wheel and place it where it needs to be. Pain in the butt, but not difficult. If the second one, have the steering components looked at. Perhaps start with the second one first as a steering wheel relocation will just be a band aid if the primary issue is more serious.

· Registered
1991 420SEL
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulling to right like an SOB. I need to replace my left tie rod anyway. Will do that then have alignment. I know about taking the wheel off. As part of trying to get the damn SRS light to go off, I've taken it off and cleaned the airbag contacts. Didn't work of course! Neither did changing the OVP, voltage regulator and disconnecting to battery. The light is annoying as hell

Dr Swiger

· Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,090 Posts
A permanently burning SRS light can also come frome the seat belts or the seatbelt lock on the seats. Did you take out the seats or the seatbelts? Both are connected to the SRS system in cars after 1986.

Maybe you just searched something under your front seats and ripped the cables of (red plugs)?

· Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,040 Posts
With that much off, I bet at some point the wheel was off the car, meaning the SRS had to be removed first from the wheel. extend steering wheel out as far as you can go then remove negative cable from battery. Remove cluster and inspect the small SRS wires above column they have an orange plug. You may want to remove the wheel and inspect that the SRS wires were attached properly from the source as well. So if you are off to the right, get a proper hunter alignment, then tackle the removal of the wheel and inspect SRS connections by removing cluster and wheel. many threads on SRS delete can help you, SLow&Rusty did a nice thread on it with pictures. Once you unscrew the airbag you will see how it all connects. I bet your loop is open hence the light. See also wheel removal video from Kent....

Reactions: mramay

· Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,096 Posts
Alignment issue, or if the Steering box was swapped the pins were not set right.
When I swapped it out for a used box it was off by almost 90. And so my turn signal stalk would never click off when I was turning. Agh! Ordered a Rebuilt the box and centered the pin= straight wheel!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.