Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to upgrade the charging system to keep up with my aftermarket system. I am currently running 2-1000/2 Arc Audio amps for the subs (2-10") and 2-400/2 Arc Audio for the mids & highs (2-6.5 componets). I have the factory group 27 battery in the factory location and two group 24 Optimas in the little cubbies on each side of the trunk in my w210. My headlights, dashlights, etc.... all dim each time there is a draw in current from the amps. I know that this is a problem I've created with my need for music.... But theres just something to me about the dimming lights thats a little embarrassing. Thanks for your help..

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Get a new Alt, get one that pushes about 180AMPs or more.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
It might be possible to fit an alternator from a 113 (430) engine into the 112. I'm not positive but I did do a little research on this before my collision and thought it might be worth a try. You might consider adding some capacitors. Add them as close to the 12V amp input termals as possible (if you haven't done so already).

·
Registered
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
122 Posts
Don't forget that nothing is for free.

If more engine power is turned into voltage for the amps, less horepower will be available to drive the wheels.

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
given your car has a larger system than mine, I feel that a Dampening Capacitor may be able to help your car. Before I bought my Cap the lights would dim quite alot, now with a 1 Farad capacitor I don't get the dimming effect. Good Luck (that is if you havent already fixed the problem)

·
Registered
C32 AMG
11 Posts
Sandro N - 8/4/2005 4:16 PM

given your car has a larger system than mine, I feel that a Dampening Capacitor may be able to help your car. Before I bought my Cap the lights would dim quite alot, now with a 1 Farad capacitor I don't get the dimming effect. Good Luck (that is if you havent already fixed the problem)
Adding the cap will be more detrimental to him. You already have the alternator dragging by having to charge 3 batteries!! Take a battery out and see if it helps out any with the dimming. Having extra batteries is only good if you run your system when the car is off. And if you do run the system with the car off, you should invest in a battery isolator. Now lets say you want to keep everything the way it is, then you must get a bigger alternator (no ifs ands or buts).

Also, have you done the "Big 3" upgrade? (Which basically is upgrading the wires to a bigger gauge)

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
One solution is to leave the original electrical system intact and run your audio system off the optima batteries (in parallel) with a current limited/isolated charging circuit. These are available from RV shops and auto asccessory stores. The purpose is to isolate your main battery from the accessory batteries so that if you drain the accessory batteries, the car will still start. It also has the effect of limiting the amount of current that the battery/alternator can furnish to the accessory batteries - thus keeping the lights from dimming when the amp requires a surge of current. These isolators will allow the alternator to charge the optimas, but not allow the main battery that runs your car from being drawn down when the amps need a surge of current. It will also keep your alternaor working longer.

An upgrade to a higher amp alternator is a good thing and using a minumum of AWG #4 copper wires between the amps and the optima batteries is a must.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts