Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1945 Willy's CJ2A, 2007 Dodge Nitro
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since making that 900 mile trip about 11 days ago I've been running a little chunky. So today I had some time to open the hood and do some diagnostics. First thing I noticed was that the air plate was a little sticky. I had just removed the fuel distributor and cleaned that out before the trip and I didn't want to do it again, so I decided I would do an experiment and remove the fuel line going into the top of the distributor and spray it with some carb cleaner while depressing the air plate (thus creating a draw with the carb cleaner and forcing cleaner into the system and around the plunger). Well this worked great and was a hell of a lot easier than removing the whole distributor.

Now for the issue I created. When removing the fuel line on top of the distributor I broke the fuel line.

This is where the line goes

This is what I broke

So I had to fix it. I don't have time or money to order the new fuel line or go find one. So I thought I would try drilling the compression tip and soldiering the tubing to the tip.

This is how I drilled it out. I used a 5/64 bit for the 1/8 tubing so that it would have just a tad of wiggle room to allow the soldier to get into the joint well.

The first time I soldiered it I didn't have the direction of the heat drawing the soldier into the joint. I had to redo the whole thing.:mad:

The second joint turned out much better. This is before I finished sanding and filing it.

Ready to go back into place.

I was very careful when replacing it. I'm still not 100% sure on the integrity. I am in the process of looking for a replacement line and will order one when I have found one. I'm hoping this will hold up for a while until I can get one.

My next issue is that my valve covers and spark plug seals are leaking. I pulled my plugs and about half of them have oil around them and I was about a half a quart low. I think I made a mistake when changing my oil last. I used Castrol GTX 10w40 conventional because I know it's good stuff and I didn't want to run synthetic, but I made the mistake of adding Lucas Oil because I have a very slight tap from one of my valves before the car warms up.

Here is the oily spark plug. It's very little but enough to cause a little oil burning and leakage.

After cleaning the plugs and fuel distributor plunger thingy she's purring pretty good again. I plan to order the new valve cover gasket and plug hole seals as well as the new fuel line.

Any help in finding where I can order that fuel line would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Any help in finding where I can order that fuel line would be very appreciated.
My first guess would be a salvage yard. While you probably won't see any 107's there will be plenty of W126's or other models. You may be able to find one with the correct length.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first guess would be a salvage yard. While you probably won't see any 107's there will be plenty of W126's or other models. You may be able to find one with the correct length.
Oh OK. There are only a couple salvage yards within 100 miles. I'll have to take a look.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

MB p/n 1170702832, 57.60 here.

As rowdie alluded to, all of the parts for your car can be identified with the MB-USA EPC. There's a link in section 00 of the EGv107.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
Very industrious. However, gas-fueled engine bay fires are a real bummer.. just ask any former Jensen-Healy owner, said cars being infamous for their failure-prone plastic fuel T fittings and resulting conflagrations.

I'd replace that fuel line with a proper one ASAP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very industrious. However, gas-fueled engine bay fires are a real bummer.. just ask any former Jensen-Healy owner, said cars being infamous for their failure-prone plastic fuel T fittings and resulting conflagrations.

I'd replace that fuel line with a proper one ASAP.
Good point. Luckily I'm not driving much right now. I will be next week though when my classes start. The bummer for me is that this is my only wheels for now. I have my order in for the fuel line and it should be arriving next week.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
You might be able to go to a racing supply shop or possibly a hydraulic shop and have one made up for you. If you take the old one in with you to let them find the proper size/thread fittings, they may be able to create one for you. It might be made from flexible Stainless braided hose or hydraulic hose, but those would be able to withstand the pressure. It should be a lot less expensive, and hold you over ntil you can find a replacement of the original type.

Just a suggestion,
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts