Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
59 Posts
Well being as new as I am to the Mercedes SUV world, I was going off pictures I saw of 320 with dual exhaust.

I couldn't tell what model the one on the pic was, and it's important for me to find out the similarlies between models so I know what parts are interchangeable to my 03 ML350 and to what extent.
AFAIK, the only W163 with something resembling a dual exhaust is the ML55, which had a big muffler across the back where most of them had a spare tire. The gas tank prevents any routing except directing both sides of the exhaust to the right side in order to cross the rear axle.

·
Registered
2003 ML350
2 Posts
I got a 2003 ML350. I got it because I was gonna park my 2001 4x4 F150 and put money into it. I work the Bakken Shale oil patch in North Dakota . I figured the car would last long enough till I got my F150 restored back to original condition. This Benz is one tough bastard (drive down the trails that lead to drill sites,you’ll see what I mean). I didn’t think Mercedes would have a clue about 4x4’s. I was wrong. Hell I fell in love with this car. I’m gonna put a new tranny in my F150 and park my Benz. I’m putting money into it,to get it back to showroom condition. You can go to Carid.com and buy a bull bar with skid plate for your ML350 for about 300.00 if you plan on going off-road . I’m putting one on my ML350,but she’s not going offroad anymore. I’m just leaving that to my F150. I’ll be driving that to the drill sites.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
sic bumpers? Pretty sure you bought the ugliest ML ever made.. it’s as close as you get to looking like a minivan without actually being a minivan. Congratulations you are now the soccer mom with style. And what does the octane rating have to do with anything? The car was designed to run on high octane but you didn’t research this first? If anything get the updated torsion bar shims so you don’t clunk and click every time you go in reverse...
Don't quite get your slant on this since you have no make or model listed.
The W163 was the first luxury SUV, It's body style 20 years ago was what everyone else copied. You are entitled to you opinion, but you do realize you are expressing it in the w163 forum among other w163 owners?

Our ML500 replaced the Mommy van and believe me there is no going back. In fact many w163 owners have purchased 164 only to end up going back to a 163 because they felt it was not the same.

As to the Octane where in his statement did treaddie say he was ignorant of the fact it took high octane?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
sic bumpers? Pretty sure you bought the ugliest ML ever made.. it’s as close as you get to looking like a minivan without actually being a minivan. Congratulations you are now the soccer mom with style. And what does the octane rating have to do with anything? The car was designed to run on high octane but you didn’t research this first? If anything get the updated torsion bar shims so you don’t clunk and click every time you go in reverse...
Thanks for making me laugh, and it's funny because It's true. So because I found in this rut, I got to make this car more manly. Lol, I told my friend how I got the car. Didn't check a thing. It's a pretty stupid thing to do. Even my friend told me that I was so out of character. I'll tell you one thing, If I would of opened at least the oil cap to check the oil, I would'nt of bought it. But despite having to go from 87 to 91 octane, after changing the oil and few other things it supringsly runs pretty good and fuel economy seems excellent. When I fueled, the needle stayed a long time on the full mark, so was the case at every other position. But When I got It economy was lousy, just like my ol v8 ss impala.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes Wallyo, it does seem like I bought one of the ugliest benz's ever designed. I'll tell you it fells like im in one of those pt cruisers, or even the big brother one, ss something, sr something. I hate those. And I feel like this 350 is like that PT, thats why I want to mod it. lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
wallyo, thanks for pointing that out about the bumpers. Yes, the one your talking about I would'nt rock, but evrething is custom or after market. My last off-road bumper was a rusty's brand and it was welded custom by my friend. If you scroll back to the begginning of the blog you'll see pic of probably a custom bumper, I think It makes the ML look good. But based on the picture, it looks like a fab work, so the front skid plate looks unrefined. ??? that's my take.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
just to go off track a lilttle, who here has done rally driving or racing? That was supposed to be the next level for me as a protoje? (spelling). Not proffessional but on my own, as a challage to suppliment what I learned as an offroader, that next, next. Sorry about punctuation and spelling. I turned my spell check off due to new phone. Thank you every body for your comments, good or bad, thumb up or down. I appreaciate all of it. Thank you guys and girls, Have an excellent Christmas.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
Yes Wallyo, it does seem like I bought one of the ugliest benz's ever designed.
I like the design myself at the time 20 years ago it was cutting edge. If it was good enough for Jurassic Park and the Pope....

May not be a Benz but the ugliest SUV award goes to Pontiac and the Aztec!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
If you say it feels like a PT you have me thinking that something needs replacing. Center drive shaft support bearing as a start.

Just a side note that may be of help is many of the driveshaft parts are shared. With Jeep (Cherokee I think). Since Chrysler was owned by Benz at the time. So Benz says you can not rebuild the drive shaft. But since the ujoints for example are the same as Jeep one can rebuild it.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts