Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,849 Posts
I need one to do mods for this project.
What you really need is a fat joint. Smoke it than get back to us.

W163 ML will never be a rock crawler. It does not have enough suspension travel. And you stroking your cock is not going to increase it.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
That’s pretty funny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
lol, thats very funny Witek, and probably true, but if im not to blow this ride and pimp it up with more ability it has now, Im at least going to upgrade it to get it back to a restored state to resell for to buy something worthwhile. C'mon this one was rated to have less clearance than the Grand Cherokee and Land rover, with Grand Cherokee on top (back in the day). But I always thought the XJ should of been at the top of their production like, with a flaw that was, it was a unibody. But if the ML chokes up when going up a long steep hill, that could be a major setback aswell. Im just trying to discern what this machine is capable of, and what more it will be able to do after mods (not to mention the enjoyment factor) to give the ML a current grade. I know I'm going to get more for it, but I just also dropped 1k into it, and I still need parts to buy just from stuff that wad neglected by previous owner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My thought is to upgrade all the weak links. Once a weak link breaks and is upgraded to what the dealer/manufacturer should of put into it, then at least it could be unstoppable. A horse could still run around in a corral, lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Trust me Witek, on the next vehicle I get, I promise not to dissapoint, but I do have to stroke this bird a lil, lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What you really need is a fat joint. Smoke it than get back to us.

W163 ML will never be a rock crawler. It does not have enough suspension travel. And you stroking your cock is not going to increase it.
well, also thats what I wanted to know from you experienced ML owners, If it doesn't have the ability to upgrade the suspension to crawl, then I guess the project will stop at the drawing board. Is that because the ML is better as a prerunner type vehicle, with light offroad ability? Because if thats the case I could probably still get some fun out of it.

·
Registered
2003 ml500
16 Posts
I've "lifted" my 03 ml500 with the 20mm spacers and turned up the torsion bars all the way. It sits level. I went to bigger tires too 275/70r17. I had to remove the rear fender liners to clear the inner sidewalls of the tires, no rubbing front or rear. With Cooper disco maxx tires it is unstoppable in the snow. I'm afraid of taking it out in the rough stuff and damaging the underside on rocks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've "lifted" my 03 ml500 with the 20mm spacers and turned up the torsion bars all the way. It sits level. I went to bigger tires too 275/70r17. I had to remove the rear fender liners to clear the inner sidewalls of the tires, no rubbing front or rear. With Cooper disco maxx tires it is unstoppable in the snow. I'm afraid of taking it out in the rough stuff and damaging the underside on rocks.
Well thank you for that valuable feedback. I found out after that I should've bought the ML 55 AMG, but your close to that. Ok, so you went wider for more tread. what kind of rim do you have? The beveled or bulged out type, flat rims, or inner offset/ deep?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've "lifted" my 03 ml500 with the 20mm spacers and turned up the torsion bars all the way. It sits l
[QUOTE="18163.175, post: and turned up the torsion bars all the way. It sits level.
Im not familiar with torsion bar, thanks. I'll check that out.

Well since the ML 55 AMG rocks 285/50 R18 109 W(1), what would 285/50? R17? work?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
I lowered my ML with H&R springs and Bilstien shocks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, what ever the case, rims and definitely tires is one thing I learned will set off your ride. I'm wondering what the correct lug spacing is so that I can begin considering available rims for my ML350. ???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I really don't want to worry about rock rash on my wheels. So any one know the bolt pattern for the lugs on the hub assembly? Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
All Mercedes are 5x122mm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also, the coolant light turned on while I was driving it half cold, or not fully warmed up. I'm recently having issues with the temperature going up while I wait for lights or traffic. I poured 2 new gallons of 50/50 and I'm wondering exactly how much the whole sytem will hold. The 2003 manual says 12.7 us qt.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts