Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have the same problem?
My seats creak (ie make noises) while the car is moving. I think that this happens as the leather touches the magnisium frame of the seat. The noise is really irritating.

I am thinking of applying some sort of lubrication in the back part of the seat (the one that touches the magnisium frame). What do you guys and girls think?

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
nlagos, creaks are quite tricky, it is usual very hard to tell exactly where there are coming from.

One thing, I've noticed, which might be yours, is if you have the seat far enough back, and the headrest pulled up enough, then the top/back of the headrest is touching the rollbar. This will cause squeaks. This is NOT the seat back hitting the back "wall". That is different.

·
Registered
SLK 200
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right. Creaks are very tricky but i am convinced that they come from the seats as yesterday i tried driving without my back touching the back of the seat for a minute or two and the noise dissapeared. Also the back of the seat is not touching the back or the rollbar (only 1.75 i am affraid :)). What else could it be cause this thing is driving me nuts. Anyone had any similar problem?

·
Registered
SLK 350
29 Posts
My passenger seat rattles (rather than creaks) when empty, but is fine when someone is sitting in it. Seems to come from the backrest area. Got a feeling it's the seatbelt knocking against the seat/door.
Gonna try driving with the belt locked next trip to see if that stops it, if so I just need to find a way to secure it the rest of the time.

·
Registered
SLK 200 K
278 Posts
those of you who hear rattles or creaks from the seats, i vaguely remember posts almost 2 years ago claiming that there was a possibility of rattling seats those which Airscarf is fitted..

i dont have airscarf, i dont have rattles or creaks at all. i dont imply that all those who have opted for Airscarf have rattles.

·
Registered
SLK350
9 Posts
My drivers seat creaks a little, but I use to notice the same sound more when someone was in the passengers seat and it seemed to be coming from somewhere between us, from both seats. It drove me crazy for a couple of weeks. It ended up being the seat belt post (the thing you put the belt clip in) rubbing on the leather of the seats. I wrap the cleaning cloth around it to make sure that was it and the sound stopped immediately. A quick clean of the plastic and it when away.

Rod.

·
Registered
ML320CDi/SLK200K
6 Posts
They all do it!! Seiously, at 1.93m and the seat right back it creaks. If the back does not touch the bulkhead it goes. Clearly the test engineers driving the protoypes were slightly shorter

·
Registered
SLK 350
29 Posts
Drove today with the passenger seatbelt locked in its clip - not a sound to be heard!
Definitely (in my car at least) the seatbelt knocking against either the seat or the door frame.
Now to figure a way of keeping it still when not in its clip?

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I've found that locking the seatbelt into the clip is the most effective way to keep the seatbelt from banging into the door. There might be another workaround, like using another means to keep the clip attached to the harness (like using a paper clip), but this is probably the easiest and cleanest way to go.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Sorry don't understand the issue with the (unused) passenger seatbelt buckle. Just have it lay across (i.e. on the front of) the side bolster. It stays there. Doesn't move around and doesn't clink on anything. No buckling or paperclips necessary.

Look at pg 71 of the 2006 owners manual. Or where I'm pointing to in this pic (the red arrow). The seat belt should be across that side bolster. Except of course on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts

·
Registered
Porsche Cayman S
15 Posts
yes the seats can creak, my drivers seat did so and the dealership managed to rectify it, it wasn't a little noise it was a real creak like and old door opening on every hard left hand bend....

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
502 Posts
bloflin said:
etyu, yes exactly, in a short search I couldn't find a good pic.

When they are placed like that (shown in etyu's referenced pic), they will stay as the tension from the return mechanism holds them in place.
It appears that the pics show the seat belts on the outside of the "loop for seat belt guidance" as described in the manual. Or maybe I am just not seeing the belts correctly.

I don't think it makes any differnce in reference to the seat belt noise, and the placement of the belt on the seat as described solves at least one noise problem with the seat belt.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
bloflin said:
nlagos, creaks are quite tricky, it is usual very hard to tell exactly where there are coming from.

One thing, I've noticed, which might be yours, is if you have the seat far enough back, and the headrest pulled up enough, then the top/back of the headrest is touching the rollbar. This will cause squeaks. This is NOT the seat back hitting the back "wall". That is different.

blofin, Correct!, I assumed that and Just pulled my chair forward!

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
apbaphil said:
It appears that the pics show the seat belts on the outside of the "loop for seat belt guidance" as described in the manual. Or maybe I am just not seeing the belts correctly.
You're right apbaphil.

I was in a hurry to get the pictures. The seat belts should be inside the loop or they run the risk of going back near the back bulkhead and the metal seat belt tongue will bang against the black plastic of the backrest and cause moderate noise, more like banging.

I believe the creaking noise can be from other causes too. This is just one way to eliminate the metal seat belt tongue hitting the backrest as a cause.

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
My seats creaked.
It was found to be the airscarf mechanism. It was not held together sufficiently enough going up the seat back.

They took the car, put stronger glue and clips on the airscarf, and put more packing in the sight back.

It has not creaked since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts