Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good people of the forum for the finest generation of SL, this new 107 owner seeks your collective wisdom. I bought a beautiful 380SL that I've been fixing up. New foam for the visors, upgraded its "mono" sound system to full stereo with the Rockford Fosgates recommended on here, oil/filter. Yesterday it came time to replace the spark plugs. Seven came right out without a hitch.... but one plug decided to take the "housing" with it

Can anyone identify this part by name so I can try and find it for sale online? Penetrating oil and reinserting/uninstalling again were my two ideas for solutions - here's a photo of how well they worked!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,593 Posts
Not stock. Anti fouling adapter. PO apparently had problem with oil or other fouling. Don't use and see why it is there. Also OE plugs were not resistor plugs. Try to find them.

If its a US model has the timing chain been converted?

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
126 Posts
I’ve found that Napa auto parts has a good selection of non resistor plugs that fit our cars and they make it really easy to find which ones are/aren’t although usually just finding them without the R is all you need. Just be aware that a lot of ebay listings and some sites list it without the R but when they show up they are resistor plugs. Read reviews if they have any or ask the seller before you buy if you choose ebay or other sites.

·
Registered
1982 380SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both - much appreciated. Yes Rowdie it was - around 2010 to the dual row timing chain. For the spark plugs, I went with Bosch 7911 Copper/nickel which I think (hope) are non-R.

Sounds like buying a new anti fouling adapter is the way to go, but would you guys do things differently? None of the other plugs looked very bad at all, just this weird one which came out with a little oil at the thread of the adapter

·
Registered
1986 560SL, 1993 Isuzu Bighorn (RHD & Diesel)
60 Posts
I’ve found that Napa auto parts has a good selection of non resistor plugs that fit our cars and they make it really easy to find which ones are/aren’t although usually just finding them without the R is all you need. Just be aware that a lot of ebay listings and some sites list it without the R but when they show up they are resistor plugs. Read reviews if they have any or ask the seller before you buy if you choose ebay or other sites.
Very true, the listing below is what I used and he actually sent me the right plugs. Every other seller sent me the resistor plugs and I sent them right back!
8 Genuine NGK 7734 BPR5ES 7832 (7703) Standard Spark Plug's Lawnmower | eBay

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
126 Posts
aren’t those resistor plugs? I thought the R in BPR means resistor but maybe that’s only true for other brands.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
2,027 Posts
You need to keep this in there ,its in there for a reason may be the thread was damaged, and these have been made along with the plug hole modified to take the insert . Put it in the vice to remove your old plug .Refit in to engine with a good thread lock . Thinking avbout this,, i would fit the new plug to the insert .Then with a good thread lock replace it in to the plug hole lock it up to specs . You can check this by offering up a spark plug to the hole in cylinder head to see if your spark plug will screw in to it,, i guess it so large now and thats why this insert was made .More than not i bet they are all like it.

·
Registered
1986 560SL, 1993 Isuzu Bighorn (RHD & Diesel)
60 Posts
aren’t those resistor plugs? I thought the R in BPR means resistor but maybe that’s only true for other brands.
He looks like he updated the listing so it could be the resistor ones now, I don't remember the P/N but I measured them with my multimeter and they were all in the low ohm range not Kohm range.

·
Registered
1982 380SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New adapters arrived today gents. I shall insert one into Helga and let you know what happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts