Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just clicked over the 56K mile mark last Friday (15th ) and decided id be nice and change the oil, run some injector cleaner through the old G and give it a bath. Well I did this and the computer for one is clue less on dirty oil. 10.5 new quarts on Mobil 1 and it says “oil level ok, service in 5k miles”. Anyway after the first tank of gas running the Lucas fuel injector cleaner I got a little better mpg. It was hovering in the mid 13’s which cruise was set at 75 mph. Last tank it averaged out to 13.0. Usually works out to 12.0. Last week I put the rest of the bottle in with another new tank of gas, and ran it out on Monday. The mileage is still the same 13.0 . On Monday I reset the display when I filled up with 93 again, and I have been watching it. Yesterday I went 185 miles with stop and go and high way driving all under 75mph with cruise on. It reported a 17.4 mph. Then this morning I reset it again thinking something was not correct and went about 90 miles again, city and interstate with a average speed 70 and its showing 18.3 mph.

So I don’t know what to tell you guys, ill keep watching and see if it stays up or if its another computer malfunction. This is also with the bigger tires and last Saturday I bought new trailer, 18 foot open car hauler. Title says its 2500 lbts. The MPG thing said with it behind the car on the way home I was getting 14.0

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
Bigger Tires?????

Kerr,
What diameter tires did you put on your gwagen?
Has it effected anything other than to slow the speedometer?
I'm curious about the ESP changes.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
In the UK we can get LUCAS oils and the associated literature.
Having used some of their steering rack fluid there was adefinate improvement so I will take on board what they say.

Regarding MPG (not mph) if you want some definate proof of how something has altered performance then you need CO readings and other gases to be sure but if the engine feels better and you are recording fuel consumptions that on the same conditions show an improvement thats great.

The Wynns type products seem to be very detergent and seem to clean off the carbon build up in the bores etc followed by increased useageof oil.

Best bet is to log all fuel so that you can confirm your findings against typical past.

Dave

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
????

Are you talking about MPG or MPH ( in the digital system??)

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MPG, i hit the wrong key.

just an update, last full tank went 335 miles. I usually go 250-260 on a full tank.

As for the tires i cant tell with the ESP. Mine has had issues sence new and lovley mb cant fix it.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a 2002, i dont see that it can hurt it. its just a product to clean the fuel system. I got the big bottle and use it how the directions say. I think is said so many ounces cleans X amount of gallons. its worth a shot, i mean if it doesent work for you your only out like $8.00

As of right now its still up there. its showing 13.9 in town in stop and go as of today but i have not been out on the highway or at any speeds over 40 so im sure that is why is lower.

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
830 Posts
We don't need those hybrids- just G's with a whole lot of Lucas fuel injector cleaner!

·
Registered
GD 300 W460 1986
37 Posts
Increased MPG

Now and again I run some injector cleaner through the system, also a product called valve cleaner.
For my diesels the diesel injector cleaner version.

The engines run smoother and tend to use less fuel for the same result. Don't rely on computers and such telling me this and that.

Every time I hit the gas station I simply read the miles or km's from the dash and the liters from the pump.
The cell phone calculates the mpg or km/lit.

The cleaners make subtle changes for the benefit and so do decent oil types.

Mothball vehicles that don't run daily really do benefit big time, because they have a lot more carbon build up.

·
Registered
1985 280GE
100 Posts
Well, I have run Lucas through the '85 G twice since I bought it, have to say that I haven't really noticed anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried Lucas on my 2003 g500 with 58k miles and I am not getting about 16 mph highway, and about 13.5 city. Prior to this I was getting about 13 Highway, and around 10 city.

Seems to idle more smoothly too.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Whilst all carb or injection cleaners will help if theres any to go, the state of tune and your left foot are the biggest influence.

Without emmision test equipemnt judgements are overviews.

Whilst on the subject I have tried and seem to have benifits from the use of FAR INFRARED fuel aids. these are sold on ebay from Australlia and come with details etc. Easy to fit to any PLASTIC fuel line as close as possible to the injectors or carb.
The one (1) I have tried on my 300gd has some influence at higher revs and slightly at tickover where its smoother, certainly worth looking at but be warned the results take some time to show as stated in the add say 200miles.

The cost is low and fitting by cable ties, not magnetic.

The witch potions from the tribal car shops do work but the result from say new fuel injectors might be more reliable over athe day to day running.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts