Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 560SEC, 87 560SL, 2002 ML500, 2017 E400 Wagon
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to join the W221 club soon and trying to figure out the market. 2021 is nuts so far for pricing, and it seems the 10 year old luxury car market is slightly less affected than the 3 year old Honda/Toyota/Ram market....but is it? Hoping for some input.

Used to buying sub $10k older, simpler cars and more recently a still-warrantied 2017 E wagon - so this is new territory! The goal is to get a 'nice' car for my husband since we've (cosmetically) chewed up 'his' ML and the wagon is 'mine'...at any rate, what started as looking at 2013-2014 C classes has evolved through a W212 E phase and now, why not an S? (probably don't answer that question lol)

I've been browsing the 221 boards across the different MB sites and looking on the usual sales sites at what's available for the past few months. Turning anecdote into data, seems like we are a few thousand dollars 'overmarket' vs. 2020 or what us reasonable MB people would want to pay for these high-maintenance cars. However, this strikes me as less than the '2021 premium' on similar era C or E classes. Since I bought the wagon last summer, it's now 10-ish% higher when I plugged it into carvana...nuts.

Staying away from the '07s and don't really want to spend the $ on twin turbos. Not hunting for any particular options (seems like less may actually be more re: add'l 10 year old bits) but 4matic is a must, and would prefer non-sport trim. Seems like the 3-owner 120k+ mile cars are in the $11-15k range, and better seeming but reasonable 2 owner cars hovering around $15k up to $20k. Then the real creampuffs/low miles/overpriced cars go on up to $30k :/ Fully expecting to pick whatever car and immediately spend a few grand on deferred/preventive maintenance, replace the essential 10+ year old rubber bits, etc.

Does this seem about right for pricing? Any recent success stories on negotiating or thoughts on a mileage/year sweet spot? And finally, anyone holding off on a purchase until this (hopefully) goes back down?

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,282 Posts
Well, I bought my 2013 S550 4Matic Sport Package with 61K in January 30th so kind of recent. At the time prices had just started to raise so timing wasn't the best. Dealer was asking $28.900 for it and the car was clean. One owner and maintained only at the MB Dealership with all the records. That was the main factor for me when I went looking at that particular car. I negotiated and got the car for $27K. I believe I could have got that same car for about $25K before all these craziness but I like the car so at the end to me it is worth it. Here is my thread when I purchased it and then some of the upgrades that I did are at the bottom of that same thread.

·
Registered
86 560SEC, 87 560SL, 2002 ML500, 2017 E400 Wagon
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely got a great car! Thanks for the reply. Totally worth it and $2k isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things for the right car with records. Was it a Keeler car? That's where we go for maintenance on the 2017. Would love to get a 2013, but tbh we're probably in pre-facelift territory.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,282 Posts
You definitely got a great car! Thanks for the reply. Totally worth it and $2k isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things for the right car with records. Was it a Keeler car? That's where we go for maintenance on the 2017. Would love to get a 2013, but tbh we're probably in pre-facelift territory.
Thank you! Yeah that is what I figured as well. The $2K was definitely worth having every single maintenance done by the Mercedes. The car was originally in North Palm FL and lived its all life in FL but the last two years had come to Albany NY and then traded in at Keelers. They actually did the 59K service as well. Good catch btw (y) what gave it away :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The facelifts definitely seem to be less troublesome over time, but as long as you avoid any engines with potentially affected by balance shaft/gear issues you should be OK. Tires, brakes, suspension, are equally expensive regardless of what year you get. The factory 18 and 19" tires are quite expensive as they do not seem to be the most common size. I found that 20" tires are actually cheaper but at that point you are at an increased risk of bending the rims and you may not like they way they feel. Also, bodywork is very expensive due to parts cost and a high number of aluminum parts and vulnerable electronic components. They are very reliable cars given how complex they are.

I paid $15,000 CAD for a 2010 S450 4matic SWB with 70,000 kms on it in december. I needed a SWB as my garage stalls are not all the same depth and the LWB would not have left enough room to access the trunk easily. I could probably break even or even make money on it now even with airmatic repairs and new tires/refinished wheels. Clean one-owner west coast car with full dealer service history. It had some damage claims to the front and rear bumpers but the repairs were top notch and done at a shop who's owner is a family friend, so I could trust they were done correctly. These had a major affect on the value of the car as even a fender bender on these can be extremely expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts