Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I (finally) crashed my car. :(
I was coming out of a curve in an offramp and the car fishtailed. I counter-steered and was controlling it until... the front right tire blew, causing me to spin out like crazy and run up a hill. These were freshly wet conditions. most damage seems to be the wheels/tires, the front bumper was smashed in, and a nice scrape on the rear-left body panel. Not sure about the extent of damage to the suspension.

I can't help thinking it would have been worse damage in a Civic... but then again I can't help thinking Civics are easier to replace/repair.. these cars are classics... and expensive classics at that! I have pics and will upload if i can get them onto my computer.

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, they suck :/

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i just came up with another excuse though. "I was testing the solidity of the car... It is solid as hell!"

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
First comes first...screw the car..YOU are whats important my friend..glad your ok! ;)

I'm not sure if the same thing would have happened in a Civic, because W126's are heavy cars, and sometimes that works against us and causes these situations when paired with other bad road/weather conditions, and a Civic is lighter and more maneuverable.

Although W126's are classics, they are plentiful by the boatload and relatively cheap, and CA seems to have the highest number of them in junkyards. I would recommend contacting my buds Cascade or ElRojo if you need to find any replacement parts..they are really good at finding that stuff and true gentlemen in helping other members out.

Again..glad your ok man. :)

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, but i consider the car more important, it's what is keeping me alive! :p
I was actually thinking the same thing with maneuverability, ah well, whats done is done... and i know civics as fwd... eww. but theyre decent cars.
Hopefully, the damage isn't as bad as I think.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to think about that when my mechanic is looking for parts.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
thanks, but i consider the car more important, it's what is keeping me alive! :p
I was actually thinking the same thing with maneuverability, ah well, whats done is done... and i know civics as fwd... eww. but theyre decent cars.
Hopefully, the damage isn't as bad as I think.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to think about that when my mechanic is looking for parts.
Or you can look at it as You were keeping the car alive and from the junkyard..lol!

It's really a toss-up as far as safety is concerned with any car. Just look at the MB made Smart car. MB says that because it is so small and strong like a nut, it can withstand more pressure in an accident than a bigger car..and they crash it against an E class (I think) on a YouTube video to prove it. But then you have people saying that bigger is always better in a crash (which I agree with), or lighter is better, or more airbags are better..etc.

I've seen really old and cheap cars do really good in a crash, and then I see an expensive car do terribly..too many factors to really say why..so it's a combo of engineering, luck, and conditions in my book.

If your car isn't totaled, then for sure check out the junkyards for parts. That's the cheapest route to go, as long as the parts are in good shape. Otherwise, start shopping around for another one..because Cali is full of good deals on them. Good luck!

PS: Just noticed you have listed more than one MB in your name box..so at least your not without a ride..good deal.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
Yeah people come first, +1 on that. And sadly 126's are very easy to write off. Those crumple zones do just that, but its for a reason.
Sorry to hear about your damage, but hopefully it'll be fine in no time.

·
Registered
Sold, in the market.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Or you can look at it as You were keeping the car alive and from the junkyard..lol!

It's really a toss-up as far as safety is concerned with any car. Just look at the MB made Smart car. MB says that because it is so small and strong like a nut, it can withstand more pressure in an accident than a bigger car..and they crash it against an E class (I think) on a YouTube video to prove it. But then you have people saying that bigger is always better in a crash (which I agree with), or lighter is better, or more airbags are better..etc.

I've seen really old and cheap cars do really good in a crash, and then I see an expensive car do terribly..too many factors to really say why..so it's a combo of engineering, luck, and conditions in my book.

If your car isn't totaled, then for sure check out the junkyards for parts. That's the cheapest route to go, as long as the parts are in good shape. Otherwise, start shopping around for another one..because Cali is full of good deals on them. Good luck!

PS: Just noticed you have listed more than one MB in your name box..so at least your not without a ride..good deal.
ah, making me think about the SL500... it's my dad's. (I am a minor by the way(17)) So I am without a ride. I put that in there with intent to post on the forum for that car should I ever need to. Lets not get started on my parents' unhappiness of the damage caused.

Yes those safety factors are all over the place aren't they. After a while I kinda stopped paying attention to safety of cars a bit. (Not including the variety of driving styles and driving safely.) If it won't kill me, I am generally happy.

I also have been looking at extreme driving courses for awhile... the rare kind that teach you what to do in these situations, but haven't been too eager about it because of the funds involved. Maybe I'll be more inclined to do that now. Though it was really unlucky to blow a FRONT tire while drifting(accidentally).. don't see that every day.. at least in the drift scene. Usually its a rear tire. Ah these were cheap tires anyway.. like cheapest of cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts