Registered
1981 SWB 300GD
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just got this from my brother:

http://www.progressive.com/RC/VSafety/rc_crash_videos.asp

Shocking to see other SUV's in tests...

But where is the G..? The only one I have seen is the advertisement for MB USA where it goes though the wall

[:)]

Regards

Peter G

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i found the rear crumple zone on the G. If you get under the truck and look at the plates that are used to mount the bumper they have circular cut-outs which allow the plate to buckle in an accident. That's what they did when my rear left corner was hit. At the rear i think that's about it. becuase the frame is right behind the bumper and the frame is pretty darned beefy... makes jeeps and tacoma's look questionable although i think those are the norm and the G is the oddball. Now i have a steel bumper so no more crumple zones for the fellow who hits me from behind.

search this site, there are some pics from crash tests.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
The G is too rare and too expensive. IIHS only tests cars/SUVs that are popular on the market...aka, what most of their customers drive. IIHS has to buy these vehicles like you and me. They do give manufacturers a chance to correct defects if a car does poorly in the crash test...the manufacturer pays for the second test vehicle.

So, they do not test vehicles that are low production because it's not practical for them to do so...waste of money. For example, you do not see Land Cruiser/LX470, Range Rover, Ferrari, Porsche, or even Corvettes.

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
I have seen a video of a G in a crash test. And no it wasn't the commercial... maybe ask Mortinson, he has been compiling a collection of G videos.

There were two shots - from the side and from the top. Come to think of it, it may have been on the MB site...

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
Maxwell Smart - 4/4/2005 9:01 PM

I have seen a video of a G in a crash test. And no it wasn't the commercial... maybe ask Mortinson, he has been compiling a collection of G videos.

There were two shots - from the side and from the top. Come to think of it, it may have been on the MB site...
Max,

No, it was not a video but a set of pictures....

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
The 2nd & 3rd photos are of a 463. Must be an early one, as there's no air bag being deployed - unlike the 4th pic of the cabrio.

·
Registered
1987 280GE
352 Posts
Yeah, the last photo hurts ... just remembers me that I have bended my frontaxle last Sunday, too ... [xx(]

Greetings, Arnd!

·
Registered
111 & 126
151 Posts
Yea...good luck if your in anything other that an old school benz..they dont make em like they used to!

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Arnd - 4/9/2005 4:53 AM

Yeah, the last photo hurts ... just remembers me that I have bended my frontaxle last Sunday, too ... [xx(]

Greetings, Arnd!
What happened? Do you have any pics? How bad is it?

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts