I'd hate to be the driver of that Opel!

·
Registered
S280, S500, 730 XJ6
238 Posts
stable??

you guys watchin the same video as me?

im surprised the merc fared so badly!!!

you would expect the corsa to be wasted but i really dont think the mercedes was reassuring either.

woops, im gonna stop aiming for those corsa drivers now!!

·
Registered
1997 V140 S420 LWB, 1992 R129 300 SL
348 Posts
Hehe, this reminds me of a drawing of what looks a lot like a Corsa colliding with a W140, whose driver is on the phone and saying: "Hold the line, please. There´s someone at the door".
I printed this many years ago and showed it to my uncle and aunt who had a Corsa at that time. They were rather pi**ed off for the rest of that evening :) (My uncle was/is a die hard Opel-fan).

BTW, if any of you guys would happen to have a link to this drawing, I´d be very happy if you could post a link to it.

·
Registered
1989 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK; 1992 320CE
1,036 Posts
K14ANO,

Looking at the footage I would say that the W140 occupants would walk away from the impact with little more than shock and bruising. The front crumple zone is clearly doing it`s job and the airbags deployed as would the seatbelt pre-tensioners.

If you look at the doors of the W140 they are not even deformed and the structural integrity of the passenger safety-cell looks intact. The impact of the collision would have forced the engine downwards and I doubt it would have entered the cabin.

I don`t think the Corsa occupants would have been anywhere near as fortunate.

In the early 90`s there was abig fuss in Germany about this very sort of situation. The German motoring organisation ADAC carried out an ofset frontal collision with a W140 and a VW Golf. The W140`s front floormats moved a bit but the occupants escaped unharmed whilst the front of the Golf was obliterated forcing the engine into the cabin of the car which would have proven fatal in real life. There was an outcry in Germany that the W140 was a monster that would endanger the lives of small car users!

Whilst I would not recommend using Corsas or any small cars for target practise I think you can be reassured that you are driving in one of the safest cars on the road. Lets hope none of us ever have to put it to the test.

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
K14ANO said:
stable??

you would expect the corsa to be wasted but i really dont think the mercedes was reassuring either.

Yes very stable...man this is a 60MPH collision, the Merc did pretty well not flippin over although it was the one that too the lower hit, generating a left force, yet, not flipping over.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Mercefreaken said:
Hehe, this reminds me of a drawing of what looks a lot like a Corsa colliding with a W140, whose driver is on the phone and saying: "Hold the line, please. There´s someone at the door".
I printed this many years ago and showed it to my uncle and aunt who had a Corsa at that time. They were rather pi**ed off for the rest of that evening :) (My uncle was/is a die hard Opel-fan).

BTW, if any of you guys would happen to have a link to this drawing, I´d be very happy if you could post a link to it.
Oh, I know the picture you're referring to! :D I've seen it before but I don't have a link to it. :(

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
445 Posts
Also, did you notice in the footage that the Corsa actually REVERSED direction in that short time? I can't imagine the g's it's passangers would have experienced.
Not only do we drive a classy car..., we have inerta on our side too!

·
Registered
420SEL
1,299 Posts
Guys, that is a head on collision. The forces involved are insane.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,731 Posts

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts

Here you go! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
force = mass x acceleration. Newton would obviously have driven a Mercedes. :D

Reactions: Mercedes>Bmw

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 440.000 km
3,849 Posts
stable??

Many people do not understand the point of safety in cars ... as well as in airplanes and other vehicles. So, the point is that we WANT our vehicle to be deformed or in other words ruined. Only the damage (deformation) of our vehicle can save our life. namely, during deformation of vehicle's parts they accept (absorb) mechanical energy which is present at the moment of impact. But I am talking about parts which are around the cabin, this must be clear ... so please no low strokes back :)

So even if it sounds not-logical we wish our outer part of the car to be completely ruined, ugly, damaged, crumpled. This would mean that they received a "smack" instead of us.

there is well known situation when truck driver was killed due to bumping of another truck on the parking place at speed of ca. 5 mp/h. So one truck bumped into another one from behind and maybe the first truck moved for couple of inches and both trucks were without any damage. But the driver of the first truck just died almost at the place due to large injuries: the vein on his heart was literally pulled off the heart. Why? because his vehicle did not absorb any energy of the second truck (small velocity, large mass of a truck = large kinetic energy). I bet that familly of the dead driver would prefer damaged truck and alive husband (father).

So, the situation is not so simple as one could think. I apologize if my text is too authoritative.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 440.000 km
3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah

force = mass x acceleration. Newton would obviously have driven a Mercedes.

This is for a long debate, too. The wish of each person in the car during the impact into another object (car, wall, tree ...) is that the velocity of the car in the moment of impact is reduced in rather long than short time. So, we want changes of velocity (acceleration) to be as slow as possible. Unfortunatelly these changes usually happen in some tenths (hundreds?) of a second. If this time would be longer, we would survive almost each accident. And conclusion is that large inertia can be very unfavourable in many situations, especially if the object in which we collide is massive or/and steady. namely Sir Newton did wrote three laws in this context and one also says that what we will give, that we will get back :) (simplified).

So, inertia is a term which must be discussed with large measure of care and accuracy when speaking about car accidents. When the previous owner told me that he prefers massive cars in case of accident, I had to stop him. What we really want is that a ratio of stiffness to the mass of our car is high (a proof is formula one --- kevlar, etc) which logically means that mass (and inertia IS related to the mass) should be as low as possible, and of course, absorbtion properties of the material of our car should be as high (or optimal) as possible. This is the place where diferential equations and science of mechanic should speak. Human logic is great but it must be accompanied with knowledge, otherwise we can produce only a fog around us :).

And of course there are special situations when inertia is desired ... too tired now to discuss more :)

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,731 Posts
Have you guys check't lately how the newer 2014 cars crumble in an accident ,gee , I be to scared to sit inside the KIA,VW ,HYUNDAI,LAMBORGHINI ,PAGANI , perfectly
comfortable in the SLS MB class or the Ford Mustang .
These cars fall apart completely.
When I see the side doors open in the tests,that's it for me ,BadCar .
When you watch this imagine that huge piece of steel where the cars smash into ,that it is the W140 standing ,that's what it reminds me of if it would come down to it,lol. :thumbsup:

If you drive any of the cars I mention above in the 1st row ,don't watch this video .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPi2nFeiMw

Check this Merc out that refuse to die & even after it still wants to turn left,lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9HeJ-RDKI

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Good to see the progression of how thing have improved on the S class, I watched the front wheel on all 3 to see how far it went into the cab space.
The 221 did very well, the wheel actually returning forward after the impact.

The cars from the far East did not do very well, did they, even that Toyota Camary did not do well re the cab damage.

Reactions: Merc-S600

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,715 Posts
Sadly all new cars are garbage in a 50mph head on...With a W140 one has a fighting chance to live, and that IS the real reason I drive a W140...

All cars in one way are death traps in one way or another, but a W140 has a excellent chance of the occupants living... The Princess Diana accident proved if everybody would have had the seat belts on the chances of living would have been great...

All one has to look at are the two-lane roads with front wheel drive cars on a 50mph roads, and the driver veers in onto-coming traffic - wham... the front sub frame/engine gets ejected... Where is the protection for the occupants..

It sure is nice to drive a REAR-WHEEL DRIVE W140 vehicle....

Remember, the whole reason for front wheel drive vehicles-easy assembly-it is not for safety...

Charish the safety of the W140..

Martin

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
Safety is the main reason why I bought the W140 as well. There are other more safer cars but for me the W140 is the safest car as I can afford. Also I wanted a later model facelift car because it has side airbags.

Driving is the most dangerous thing I do, I don't care about fuel economy, I would rather pay more and live. I've looked at many crash tests and I think a W221 would be safer than a W140 with side airbags, but I don't think a W220 is any safer than a W140.

If you drive any of the cars I mention above in the 1st row ,don't watch this video .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPi2nFeiMw
Most of the bad looking tests on new cars in that video are of the new (as of about 2012) 25% frontal area crash test. It's brutal on cars, as there is not much area for the cars to absorb the energy. Also the forces act in such a way that some crash test dummy heads go between the front and side airbags in many cars, striking the A pillar and even rebounding onto the B pillar. The new C class Merc didn't do very well in the 25% frontal area test, neither did the Audi A4 and Mercedes actually complained about this test.

Compared to modern quality car I don't think a W140 would do very well in a 25% test, in a 50% test the A pillar is already flexing.

The Mustang and SLS tests shows a 50% frontal area test or similar, which is why they held up so much better than some of the Asian cars shown.

Interesting S320 vid from Russia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0IO7Iu2hk

S600 nasty high speed fatal incident in Russia, no seat belts worn by people in the S600:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmtr2Uw9nHY

W126 in simulated pile up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfato_55w8

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
Sadly all new cars are garbage in a 50mph head on...With a W140 one has a fighting chance to live, and that IS the real reason I drive a W140...

All cars in one way are death traps in one way or another, but a W140 has a excellent chance of the occupants living... The Princess Diana accident proved if everybody would have had the seat belts on the chances of living would have been great...

All one has to look at are the two-lane roads with front wheel drive cars on a 50mph roads, and the driver veers in onto-coming traffic - wham... the front sub frame/engine gets ejected... Where is the protection for the occupants..

It sure is nice to drive a REAR-WHEEL DRIVE W140 vehicle....

Remember, the whole reason for front wheel drive vehicles-easy assembly-it is not for safety...

Charish the safety of the W140..

Martin
Is there model specific info for 50mph crashes somewhere? I know there is much more energy to dissipate compared to the usual 40mph test.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts