Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things, someone SCRAPED the paint off the edge of my fender wheel will about 1 inch long, and I can see primer or something under there (IT's not blue!) ... I really don't have a whole of of cash right now to get the fender completley redone.

I do have touch up paint from MBZ, but after a "professional" used it to touch up a couple rock chips on my hood, it appears MUCH darker than the factory paint. Okay, I understand about a 7 year old car fading a litle bit, but for most of it's life, this car has been in a garage.

SHould I put some CLEAR NAIL POLISH on the area until I find another professional who can maybe custom blend the paint maybe to lighten it up a shade or two?

Well, that's it for the fender .. now on my BUMPER, ha, I got scraped by another side-swiper and my right rear bumper corner has several scrapes on it .. CRAP ! Again, not enough damage *PORBABLY* for an insurance claim (for me, it's $500US)

THis really perterbs me! I am among the most overlycautios drivers and it doesn't seem to matter, fate will draw idiots to you who will HIT & RUN. (I live in New Orleans ... !)

I am with PROGRESSIVE - anyone know what they will do if I bring it up ? I guess it would only make sense if it is worth it to me personally to pay the $500 deductible huh ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to shake the touch up paint vigorously for at least 2-3 minutes so the metal flakes will be well mixed in the paint before you do the touch up. That is essential for the color match if you are not satisfied wipe it off with denature alcohol and try again. Metalic color touch up will never be %100 match.
Some people thinks black cars are pain in the neck to maintain but touch up is a breeze on them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you go to claim your insurance you'll pay deductible first and they will cower the rest. If you think it costs less your deductible then you will lose more money paying deductible + additional cost to your insurance as it will go up.
You have to shake the touch up paint vigorously for at least 2-3 minutes so the metal flakes will be well mixed in the paint before you do the touch up. That is essential for the color match if you are not satisfied wipe it off with denature alcohol and try again. Metalic color touch up will never be %100 match.
Some people thinks black cars are pain in the neck to maintain but touch up is a breeze on them.
Yep. Same here. I have metallic. No match

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey danger450,

Sorry about the Bad Luck! Your fender needs to be touched up soon even if it doesn't look prefect. To avoid rust or spreading of the chip. You can always have a professional look at it later.

For your real bumper do you have any pics? How deep are the marks?

Look forward to hearing from you!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accident Damage

Well, I touched up my fender "OKAY" by myself. I took the advice and shook up the touch up paint vigoroursly for a few minutes. (THANKS detay) I did two coats of touch up paint, and will put on a "CLEAR COAT" on top of that soon.

The fender, well, it's plastic, so I am not concerned with RUST, really, just LOOKS. It is a "ouple of scrapes", like one would get if they fell off of a bicycle, it's not ONE scratch of course, ha, ... so I am not yet confident in my SCRAPE(S) touch up ability. ... No photos yet though, I will have to get some of that. Not sure how deep the scratches are, but enough for me to "SEE" the plastic.

I was thinking of using one of those (QUOTE) Scratch Removers (END QUOTE). thinking that the product will, "melt" some of the nearbypaint, and, for lack of a better word, SMEAR it around a little.

Am I sorta acurate ? In my mind, you can't "REMOVE" a scratch. Its like if you had 8 reindeer and one ran away .. lol .. you can TRY TO FILL IN THE VOID, but you will never get that reindeer back .. lol.

Thansk for the help this far.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Also, I wouldn't assume that the repairs will be less than $500 (if you have it done well) OR that Progressive will necessarily raise your rates. Typically (and in my case once) your rates go up if the incident is your fault.

Ask in both counts...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey danger450,

Well if you can see the plastic you probably will not be able to blend it with just a compound. Try filling the "Voids" with your touch up see how that looks, I know it won't be perfect but it is a start.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Hey danger450,

Well if you can see the plastic you probably will not be able to blend it with just a compound. Try filling the "Voids" with your touch up see how that looks, I know it won't be perfect but it is a start.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

What Justin said is true. For deeper scratches you will have to build up several layers of paint to fill the void. After you get sufficient buildup then you can start with your wet sanding-polishing process to bring it to a condition that will be virtually unnoticable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts