Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cranked the car (’85 190E) and there was this engine noise that suddenly grew louder. Next thing I knew, a loud crash of metal, after which I cut the engine off and investigated. It turned out that the crankshaft pulley had come off the crankshaft. The crankshaft belt pulley and vibration damper came out together as one piece (still coupled together by all those bolts). The big center bolt and 3 washers are still screwed into the crankshaft. There seem to be some kind of black rubber that failed and caused the pulley and vibration damper to separate from the crankshaft. Good thing I was idling in the driveway.

Does anyone know what the fix for this is? How do you hold the engine steady to remove the 27mm retaining bolt? On the Hondas, I would remove the starter and jam the flywheel with a big screwdriver. What’s the procedure for the 190E? Do I need to buy the belt pulley and vibration damper together, and just remove the big bolt and whatever is left from the old pulley, then swap in the replacement and bolt up? Please help.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
can you get pics of it?? it would help

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3; 1992 300E-3.0, 1998 Saab 9000T
107 Posts
If you can get a 1/2" impact wrench in there, it will come off in a couple of seconds. Getting it on should be done with a torque wrench. So you would still have to lock the engine. Not sure how on a Mercedes. There are tools that will lock around the pulley and let you torque them, but there is usually a high torque. On a Saab it is 120 ft/lbs.

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
I've use a 1/2" drive socket wrench on the bolt. Rest the wrench handle on a 4 x 4 or something on the ground to elevate the wrench on the driver side. Disconnect the coil wire so the car will not start. Turn the ignition key for a quick pulse to rotate the engine. This will break the bolt loose. The wrench is not going to fly out of the car or anything as the engine will not be running.

It works well, I didn't have room for an impact wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That piece that failed is the harmonic balancer, it is isolated with rubber, the starter method works well, or if you can track down a Snap On man they make a tool that u hit with a hammer and it will break the crank bolt loose. It looks like an L with the L part being able to turn and lock. Also you will need a harmonic balancer puller. They are cheap, but the balancer is a press on fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you get pics of it?? it would help

My understanding from searching online is that this vulcanized rubber method on the vibration damper is used by others including Volvo. It is a part that can fail over time and one article points to bad engine mount being a major contributor to the extra vibration that eventually leads to this rubber separating. Here are pics of the bad pulley and vibration damper assembly and the replacement I bought. The silver center (on the replacement) is still attached on the crankshaft by the 27mm bolt while the pulley and damper vibrated loose. The new replacement unit I bought is pictured on the left with the silver center piece still attached by the rubber. I just need to find a way to hold crankshaft steady while I remove and replace the parts.

I just uploaded the pics to the link below instead.
GregE/190E Benz Pulley - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
damn i had a 2 other 2.3s and a few volvos with the rubber in the harmonic balancer. they all are fine. even with 210k+

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
impact wrench takes it right off. make sure if theres a woodruff key that its lines up properly

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
How much did you paid for your vibration damper? They are extremely expensive ~C$1K. I am onto my "FOURTH" one & I only have 207000 KMs. :mad:

The part is very expensive, but the labour is cheap...MB only takes 1.2 hrs to replace...so I let them do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much did you paid for your vibration damper? They are extremely expensive ~C$1K. I am onto my "FOURTH" one & I only have 207000 KMs. :mad:

The part is very expensive, but the labour is cheap...MB only takes 1.2 hrs to replace...so I let them do it.

I paid $40 plus tax at William's used import auto parts here in Houston Texas and it looks in "like new condition". Local Benz shop told me 3hrs labor to install and quote me $165.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
impact wrench takes it right off. make sure if theres a woodruff key that its lines up properly

I've removed the old pulley and is having a hard time lining up the woodruff key to put on the replacement. It keeps getting dislodged when I go to slide in the pulley. Is there a method to getting it in correctly? I'm stuck! Also, whats involved in replacing the oil seal behind there? Just pull it out and knock in a new seal? I've got to get it done tomorrow or next (this weekend).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts