Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at cps and i see there are one and two interlock versions. The actual connector appears to be the same. Can you use either version? Can you just trim off the second interlock tab and have it lock? I can see the one tab on the flat but not the other so not sure where it is.

80% percent off sale so only $34 for a good one but its two tab :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Was looking at cps and i see there are one and two interlock versions. The actual connector appears to be the same. Can you use either version? Can you just trim off the second interlock tab and have it lock? I can see the one tab on the flat but not the other so not sure where it is.

80% percent off sale so only $34 for a good one but its two tab :)
No.

They are not interchangeable.

Yes, it has been tried.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One quick follow up question. From your response it sounds like the actual sensor is different in operation ie different characteristics. I could easily swap connectors if that were the only real issue.

Thanks for the response, does clear up a few things.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
One quick follow up question. From your response it sounds like the actual sensor is different in operation ie different characteristics. I could easily swap connectors if that were the only real issue.

Thanks for the response, does clear up a few things.
It is a functionally-different sensor. However you wire it, it will not work.

Hence the "not interchangeable" initial response. ;)

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
The two you are looking at dave are based on engine number. What is yours?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a functionally-different sensor. However you wire it, it will not work.

Hence the "not interchangeable" initial response. ;)
Thanky Sir thats what I needed to know. It also means I am going to be most likely stuck with the most expensive one listed. Oh what are the chances:D

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The two you are looking at dave are based on engine number. What is yours?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
To be honest Justin I have absolutely no fricken idea what so ever about the engine number. ;-]

I ran my vin through the decoder (4JGAB54E1WA033475) and it spit back this as the engine number

112942 30 149109

Is that what is needed? Should I assume that 148109 is my engine serial#? If that is the case AutopartshausAZ says the two prong is the right one for engine serial numbers under 370998. Be nice if it is as that is the smokin sale one ;-]

·
Registered
2002 ML500; 2007 BMW 335XI
410 Posts
To be honest Justin I have absolutely no fricken idea what so ever about the engine number. ;-]

I ran my vin through the decoder (4JGAB54E1WA033475) and it spit back this as the engine number

112942 30 149109

Is that what is needed? Should I assume that 148109 is my engine serial#? If that is the case AutopartshausAZ says the two prong is the right one for engine serial numbers under 370998. Be nice if it is as that is the smokin sale one ;-]
This is what you need (it is a two tabs):

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320 FAE Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor in Canada - Canada W0133-1612825 Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor Canada

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
You need the double INTERLOCK, double prong cps(the on sale one at AutoPartsWay)
Double Interlock- Under and including engine number 30 358406
Single Interlock- Over and including engine number 30 358407

Lucked out on this one bud ;)

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucked out ($$$) and lurned somtings ( head hurts now) :D

Gotta admit that vin decoder is a lot more pleasant than crawling under a vehicle with a scrapper and a a flashlight looking for an engine serial number. Curious if the two sensors also have different mount points so that the end is deeper or shallower. On a passive hall effect sensor there isn't much difference in operation. Usually some variance in sensitivity is all you see. Going back to one tab is weird as that's is more susceptible to vibration problems too. Would have to have them side by side on the bench to figure it out. Oh well.

Anyway thanks everyone ! :bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
Please get only the Bosch made unit if you decide to get one.
The FAE brand has had issues lasting even 25% as long as a Bosch made one.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TNX Mr Noodles I ordered a good one and a couple of fleece oil filters. Guess the fleece is so the oil stays warm? :D

Hope this gets it. Can't afford to have it die with my wife driving. She would cut off several parts I was planning to eventually use with my second wife.

Any idea what size hammer to install the ckps with?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts