Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
560 SEL ECE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The backstory: I could start the car, and to keep it alive I had to rev it to keep it running.

When the engine got warm it could randomly die. Sometimes it started right away, other times not.
The car would shake at a specific speed, and quit shaking if I accelerated or drove slower.

I was gone in another country for 3 months and when I came back it just wouldn't start.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,140 Posts
Sounds like a failing EZL or you could check the integrity of the ignition coil. cps can breakdown when at operating temp. I now understand why your looking for crank sensor. Let me know if you want the one I know of.

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
246 Posts
So is there spark? It should be strong and blue. If it looks weak and red then I would suspect coil. What is the resistance on coil primary, coil secondary and crank position sensor? Do plugs get wet?

·
Registered
560 SEL ECE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So is there spark? It should be strong and blue. If it looks weak and red then I would suspect coil. What is the resistance on coil primary, coil secondary and crank position sensor? Do plugs get wet?
I'm waiting for my multimeter cables to arrive so I can check

·
Registered
560 SEL ECE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
So I checked the CPS and didn't get any reading

After contacting several sources I found it new for $ 185 in Germany trough a friend who lives there, so at the moment I'm waiting for the part
The Benz import here in Norway wanted to charge $ 310 for it 😂

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,269 Posts
I heard on the grapevine MB Germany has a heap of them in stock and yes the dealers in other countries are blind Freddy highway robbers.
Parts supppliers were sourcing direct from Bosch
I fail to understand why the W126 V8 sensor is dear compared to exact same other sensors in different models & brand cars are under $50
They are not a complex item

·
Registered
560 SEL ECE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I heard on the grapevine MB Germany has a heap of them in stock and yes the dealers in other countries are blind Freddy highway robbers.
Parts supppliers were sourcing direct from Bosch
I fail to understand why the W126 V8 sensor is dear compared to exact same other sensors in different models & brand cars are under $50
They are not a complex item
Ye I'm pretty suprised myself.

How come the chart shows that its not compatible with the M117 engine?

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Just giving an example that the same design is used for other MB models. It doesn't suit only because the cable is not long enough.
That metal bracket could be removed from the old one by cutting the wire and use the old wire to to make the new cable longer by joining the old EZL plug end to the new wire as to required length - soldering & testing of course

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced it in my 86 420SEL last week. I was finding the sensors for about $300 with the metal bracket and $45 without, so I took a chance and ordered one from ebay for another model with a similar size engine hoping the cable would be long enough. This one worked out to be the same length as the original.

It won't let me add the link since this is my first post. It shows to be AIP part number CRK77 and lists these as interchange numbers: 0031530128, 0261210018, 31530128, PC471

I haven't spliced the cable to install the metal bracket yet. It seems the car was unhappy about sitting a couple months this winter. I'm now diagnosing an excess fuel problem that melted the primary catalytic converter when I got it running. Exhaust manifolds and converter were cherry red after running for a couple minutes. The coolant temperature sensor is pretty far out of spec and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive. The car was running perfect when I parked it around Christmas.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Good work that is the required same length and you can slice open the bracket tube to create enough space to swap cables over if you want to keep the bracket
There is always a way to get around these type issues without paying crazy money because of a bracket

21 - 36 of 36 Posts