Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S 500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what symptoms are of a faulty crankshaft position sensor? How much does it cost to have replaced?
Thanks!!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,195 Posts
A number of posts describing problems have drawn the response that the problem was caused by the crankshaft position sensor; some have discussed costs. Suggest you search for these posts.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
mcavs said:
Does anyone know what symptoms are of a faulty crankshaft position sensor? How much does it cost to have replaced?
Thanks!!
the most common symptom is crank, no start. others symptoms are the car will crank fine when cold but when hot the engine stalls and wont restart, only crank. after 30 minutes it will restart.

depending on the dealer, depends on the cost.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,510 Posts
Generally speaking, the engine won't run without a cranksahft position sensor signal. If the sensor fails after shutdown the engine will crank but won't start. If the sensor fails while you're driving the engine just quits. No warning, no surging, no loss of power... It just quits. I've worked on cars that had intermittently bad crank sensors. Usually the engine will start and run for awhile but once the sensor warms up it "opens up" and the engine quits. After a cooldown period the engine restarts and the cycle continues.

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
How hard is it to change one out ?

Where's the CPS located ?

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
located at the top of the engine where the engine bolts to the trans. not hard to do if you have done them before.

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
Its easy to do, takes about 20 minutes after you do a few. You should be able to do your first in less than an hour, just make sure the engine is not hot that can be painful.

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
CPS

Located at the top of the engine where the engine bolts to the trans.

Not hard to do if you have done them before.
Once I got the filters out of the way it was easy to see . . .

I could get to it with a couple vacuum lines removed.

A cheap dental mirror was a very helpful tool.

Not more than 30 minutes to swap out.

Thanks again for helping me out !

Most of you have been great.

Drives like a dream again.

Red, *<:){)-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts