Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my CPS after it exhibited the symtoms I learned about here, where the car would not start when the engine is warm on a hot day.

Diagnosis and repair was super simple, thanks to the members of this forum, but EXPENSIVE!

The MB dealer charged me $252 bucks for the sensor.

The parts guy told me there were two versions of the CPS, depending on the production run of the car, so they had to go by my VIN to pick the right one.

Is that true?

It scared me off of buying from AutohausAZ.com instead of the dealer, which I commonly do (although I wanted to fix the car immediately, instead of waiting a few days). They want $46 for the CPS. Even with the ridiculous shipping fee that ranged from $42 to $60, they're still less than half the price the dealer charged.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
If you buy Bosch, is the same sensor, minus the star. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
My Autohausaz sensor was bosch. I thing the earlier ones were metal with fixed lead and prone to being difficult to get out because of being rusted in. The later ones were plastic with a detachable lead and easier to remove.

I was pleased to find when mine came from Autohausaz that the earlier model with fixed lead had also been upgraded to plastic by Bosch.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I recently replaced my CPS after it exhibited the symtoms I learned about here, where the car would not start when the engine is warm on a hot day.

Diagnosis and repair was super simple, thanks to the members of this forum, but EXPENSIVE!

The MB dealer charged me $252 bucks for the sensor.

The parts guy told me there were two versions of the CPS, depending on the production run of the car, so they had to go by my VIN to pick the right one.

Is that true?

It scared me off of buying from AutohausAZ.com instead of the dealer, which I commonly do (although I wanted to fix the car immediately, instead of waiting a few days). They want $46 for the CPS. Even with the ridiculous shipping fee that ranged from $42 to $60, they're still less than half the price the dealer charged.
MY 99-02 Crankshaft Position Sensor for a 113 /112 engine cost $46.54 at AutohausAZ.com for a Bosch p/n 0261210170 or a $147.00 MSRP for MB p/n 0031532828 at Parts.com

NO, there is only one Bosch or MB p/n for your CPS. BTW, you could have also replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor with a BOSCH p/n 0232103037 for $65.84 for a total of $112.38 in parts w/ free ship from AutohausAZ.

It's been suggested that you replace both the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position sensor at the same time. On or before 75K miles. I also found out that whenever you R&R the CrankPS and/or the CamPS you should have the car connected to a STAR Diagnostic System and have the SDS erase the "Ignition Application Memory".

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
YOU GOT ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!! I changed mine, It took 20min. and cost Me $45 including UPS, THIS is why they are called "STEALERS"

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Early version came with one piece sensor and harness. $$$.
It works different, car will start....

Later you just replace the sensor not the wire. $
Car will NOT start easy. ;)

Regards,
aam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts