1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

Wife goes to super market in the 99, ML430, 95K miles

Cranks truck 4 times, over approx. 5 minute span. Walks inside supermarket calls me. I said to lock and unlock car try again car starts.

Before I go to dealer today what does it sound like before I get the
" problem not reproducible " speech.

Crank sensor ?

Anti theft ?

Others

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
gw17625410 said:
Hey guys

Cranks truck 4 times, over approx. 5 minute span. Walks inside supermarket calls me. I said to lock and unlock car try again car starts.

Crank sensor ?

Anti theft ?

Others

Thanks
David
Sounds like classic Crank Position Sensor failure. My 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also forgot about fuel pump. The lines and what not were updated back around 30K ?

Do the pumps go multiple times or once replaced are they good to go ?

Is the C.P.S. more common than the pump ?

Talked with MB S.A. he feels unless it will not start probably guessing.

Can you test the pump or hear it if you crawl under the truck ? You can hear a chevy pump run when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
gw17625410 said:
I also forgot about fuel pump. The lines and what not were updated back around 30K ?

Do the pumps go multiple times or once replaced are they good to go ?

Is the C.P.S. more common than the pump ?

Talked with MB S.A. he feels unless it will not start probably guessing.

Can you test the pump or hear it if you crawl under the truck ? You can hear a chevy pump run when you turn the key on.
If your on your original CPS, I would say its the CPS. Remember, the CPS does not leave a code when it fails. Yes, I would say CPS failure is more common than the fuel pump. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
CPS or Fuel pump..

At 95K I would go ahead and change the CPS (cheapest thing to do). If that doesn't fix it, take it to the dealer and get them to test your fuel pump.

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ttaleric said:
CPS or Fuel pump..

At 95K I would go ahead and change the CPS (cheapest thing to do). If that doesn't fix it, take it to the dealer and get them to test your fuel pump.

Thanks TT,

I was set on the pump but your are right about CPS being original, makes more sense.

How does dealer test the Fuel pump, current drawal ????

BTW,
I just crawled under ML while wife at key, you can here the pump just like a Chevy. So possiby I can confirm if it happens before getting the Sensor.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Not sure about the test, never had it done.

I know there is a guy on this forum, Noodles, that carries a CPS with him at all times just because these things tend to go bad.

I have changed out mine once, and it is defintly a PITA if you have big fingers/arms.

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE (current); 05 ML350 SE & 99 ML320 (former)
685 Posts
Most likely the CPS. Mine failed at 92k same year ML. Cranks but will not start.

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just spoke with a friend of a friend MB tech. Says if it was the fuel pump it wouldn't restart ?? ordering sensor

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
Bad pump and bad CPS have the same symptoms. If that happens again, observe tachometer when cranking. If it doesn't move, that is indication of bad CPS.
You can test the fuel pump work by pressing tire-style valve on the fuel rail, while somebody is cranking the engine.

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Check engine light just lit up.

ML still running. Will CPS throw a code and still run ?

Are the CPS vin specific or do you feel "Autohaus AZ" parts are fine for that ?

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
CPS doesn't trigger CEL. At least on older models.
Sounds like you might have something else.
Read the codes.

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crank / nostart / codes read

gw17625410 said:
Hey guys

Crank sensor ?

Thanks
David

OK:
No start happened Friday.
ML ran fine Sat.
Sunday while turning into developement "check engine" lights. Get gas and ML cranks slightly longer than normal but starts and drives home.

I used Snap-On Scan Check Model MTSC5001

Has a stored code P0442 ( Evap Emmision syst. leak detected (small leak) )

Has pending code P0135 ( O2 sensor Heater circuit ( Bank 1, Sensor 1) )

System scan all OK
Tool checked O2 sensors and said they passed ??

Purchased CPS before scanning. Now not sure why no start happened or if I should install CPS

Let me know what you think
David

PS
scanner never ID'd car, like showing Vin or asked for make and model as the old scanners used to do. Said it communicated though

·
Registered
07-ML350 (benz #9)
359 Posts
I'd bet $100...... that it's your CPS..... sounds like what was happening to my ML.... and it didn't set off the engine light or cause any error codes. Just ran like crap..... would periodically just die.... and then aggravate the hell out of me when it wouldn't start for 10-20 minutes after shutting it off (you know... when you run into a convenience store).... it's about a $60-70 part and easy to do. I doubt it's your fuel pump/filter....

Just make sure you get the right CPS for your truck..... I think there are 2 different versions of it...(different connectors)

Z

Wait.... just read your last post......did you or did you not install your new CPS.... ?????... hopefully I don't owe you $100..LOL... if you haven't installed it .... DO IT..... I still think it will fix your problem

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed CPS sensor. Cross threaded bolt, but works. Hope I never have to replace it.

I will clear the other two codes and see if they come back. Possibly the gas cap was loose or is bad ? Looks like I will be replaceing a left front O2 sensor soon also.

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 06 SRX AWD
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Light is out, hard Evap code P0442 gone, Soft O2 heater still there P0135.

See what happens with a longer drive and warmer weather.

Thanks for everyones help.

What is the opinion of replacing just one O2 sensor or do all four ?

Thanks again
David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts