Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i jumped over from the G forums to ask a question. I searched and found a lot of info but not exactley what im looking for.

My friends just bought a 2000 ML320 black on black nice ride. Well they hate the tires. it has 255-60-16's street tires which look very very small. So they have decided to go with a bigger more agressive time. Im not talking like swampers but maybe a bfg mud or something. She also ask if there is a way to make it set level and i know how to fix that. so my question (s) is this.

1) if you crank the T bars to make it level how does it ride. currently 33 inched in the front (finder to ground) and 34.5 rear finder to ground.

2)If we rase the front the 1.5 with the T bar adjustments what size tire can we run with out rubbing.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
The ride is fine with my BFGs (which I would HIGHLY recommend) and the torsion bars adjusted to level the ML. More aggressive tires would be good if you REALLY go offroad a lot.

Plus, I had to crank mine a bit more when I had my lift kit installed.

No problems.

Ride is fine.

I had it done at the dealership and they had no concerns, by the way.

(See MLoffroad's story and pics also.)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203351&posts=15&fid=29

My BFGs are 31 inches. I got them before my lift and they filled the wheelwells nicely. I may go with 33s next pending MLoffroad's experience with the larger tires since we have more room with the lift.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
285-65-16's is what I would do with the front torsion bars cranked to match rear ride height. Tell your friend to get All-Terrains if they are just going for looks and dont go off-roading much.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys.

The reason i was aking about the ride of the T bars adjusted is the Chevy truck rode like crap with them cranked up or at least min did.

again thanks for the information.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Amazingly the ride on the M gets better when you raise the T-bars. Mine got a-lot smoother ... and my T-bars are cranked to their MAXXX. [:p]

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you mean a 285-65-16 or a 285-75-16.... i mean if she had the same 285-65 as you but in 16 that will be still be two sizes smaller than your 285-65-18's wouldnt it.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Kerr - 3/14/2005 3:11 PM

did you mean a 285-65-16 or a 285-75-16.... i mean if she had the same 285-65 as you but in 16 that will be still be two sizes smaller than your 285-65-18's wouldnt it.
I'm sorry I ment 265-75-16's ... I got confused for a second. This is what a stock suspenion (except T-Bar adjusted front) ML looks like with them:

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, theres does not have the bigger finders like on that ml and the black one posted in the other post. will that matter? She already said she does not them sticking out.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Kerr - 3/14/2005 4:06 PM

cool, theres does not have the bigger finders like on that ml and the black one posted in the other post. will that matter? She already said she does not them sticking out.
I think the fenders are all the same size. The color makes them look different.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
MLOffRoad - 3/14/2005 2:08 PM

285-65-16's is what I would do with the front torsion bars cranked to match rear ride height. Tell your friend to get All-Terrains if they are just going for looks and dont go off-roading much.
AT/KOs are great off-road. They are not as aggressive as other tires, but they are built well enough to take serious punishment.

I would say if his friend doesn't drive on pavement very often he should get something other than AT/KOs.

Don't dis' the BFGs

[8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/14/2005 7:38 PM

MLOffRoad - 3/14/2005 2:08 PM

AT/KOs are great off-road. They are not as aggressive as other tires, but they are built well enough to take serious punishment.

I would say if his friend doesn't drive on pavement very often he should get something other than AT/KOs.

Don't dis' the BFGs

[8D]
I wasnt dis'n the BFG's .. I just ment they shouldnt buy a REAL BALLS TO THE WALL off road tire if they are just going to be on the road most of the time. If they want great on road tires and very capable off-road tires then the BFG AT's are the way to go !!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Kerr - 3/14/2005 4:06 PM

No they wont stick out ... those fender flares you see just make the truck look wider. I have them on my black truck, I think I will be taking them off though. I kinda dont like the way they look.

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
All-terrains work great in the sand, and also on light dirt trails and fields. However, they pack up very quickly in mud and do not have enough voids for rocks. The ML can't really handle deep mud due to its design, and also can't hanldle rocks due to its suspension. So for ML off roading, an all-terrain may be all you need. I chose the BF Goodrich AT/KO because:

1) I use the ML as a daily driver in addtion to some recreational off roading.
2) The All-Terrain has lots of siping so it will be more secure on a wet or snowy road.
3) The BFG has 3-ply sidewalls compared to others with 2-ply sidewalls.

If you don't plan on driving it on the street much, then get something really agressive looking like Interco IROKs or Boggers or BFG Krawlers. But why would you NOT drive an ML on the street? It was definitely not designed to be dedicated trail rig. Unless you plan on doing other serious modifications (like live axle conversion, cutting away fenders, etc.), then a true off road tire would be overkill. All-Terrain tires work great for a truck in ML's niche.

Keep in mind that you can get more agressive all terrains if you wheel more (like Parnelli Jones DG's) or more street oriented if you wheel less (Dueler REVO's), but the BFG AT/KO seems to fit right in the middle (for me, at least) balancing looks, handling, and traction for the ML.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
chia - 3/14/2005 10:59 PM

All-terrains work great in the sand, and also on light dirt trails and fields. However, they pack up very quickly in mud and do not have enough voids for rocks. The ML can't really handle deep mud due to its design, and also can't hanldle rocks due to its suspension. So for ML off roading, an all-terrain may be all you need. I chose the BF Goodrich AT/KO because:

1) I use the ML as a daily driver in addtion to some recreational off roading.
2) The All-Terrain has lots of siping so it will be more secure on a wet or snowy road.
3) The BFG has 3-ply sidewalls compared to others with 2-ply sidewalls.

If you don't plan on driving it on the street much, then get something really agressive looking like Interco IROKs or Boggers or BFG Krawlers. But why would you NOT drive an ML on the street? It was definitely not designed to be dedicated trail rig. Unless you plan on doing other serious modifications (like live axle conversion, cutting away fenders, etc.), then a true off road tire would be overkill. All-Terrain tires work great for a truck in ML's niche.

Keep in mind that you can get more agressive all terrains if you wheel more (like Parnelli Jones DG's) or more street oriented if you wheel less (Dueler REVO's), but the BFG AT/KO seems to fit right in the middle (for me, at least) balancing looks, handling, and traction for the ML.
I agree with what you say, but I believe the BFG AT's are the MOST aggresive true all-terrain you can get. What other tire can last over 40,000 miles and tear up mother earth. Anyone who gets the BFG's will NOT regret it ... PERIOD. There must be a reason why SOOOO many people run them. [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts