Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally noob question. But please be gentle....

What's the size of the crank pulley bolt? And which direction does the engine rotate? i.e. to the drivers side or passenger.

Going to do the air induction system solution I fond here. But it did not include this info.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,144 Posts
I do not know the size of the bolt. MBs parts catalog does not list the size.
If I recall the engines rotate to the driver's side if it is a left hand drive truck.
When I am facing the engine and have to bring a piston to TDC the instructions say to
turn it clockwise.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
181 views but no answers?

wow.
Maybe those 181 viewers should be banned from this forum for not having an answer for you. Two hrs. should have been plenty of time. Right?

What type of bolt are we looking at; hexagonal, Allen or Torx?

·
Premium Member
Kleemann Headers , PTE Cams , 05 ML-500 SE
432 Posts
Harmonic Balancer center bolt?

It is a Stretch to yield bolt 1 1/16" Hex head , 10.9 Hardness. 16mm x 1.5 threads per MM , Tightens to the clock wise direction to 147.9 Ft Lbs of torque , silver in Color.

Oh I saw a post some where on some Crank bolts have Blue Locktite on the Threads . This is True for N/A Motors , but they are a 10.9 Hardness , and silver in color. The M-112 & 113K motor has no Locktie , Has AMG on the top of the Hex and 12.9 Harness get pulled to 147.7 ft Lbs + 90* angle turn

Cheers _PTEngineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
eightynine535, the social protocol is that when a request for information is made, and an answer is given, the requester should respond. At least so that the answerer knows they weren't wasting their time.
This is why thousands of posts and threads go unanswered and never brought to a close. This forum and probably many others operate under the same mindset and that is,............. it's all about me, me, me.......................

On the lighter and more important side, the torque value previously given in the above post is incorrect.

·
Premium Member
Kleemann Headers , PTE Cams , 05 ML-500 SE
432 Posts
Bolt Torque

Don't know way DR x removed his post , but it was a very legitimate Question.
I did correct the values on my Post. N/A 112s & 113s motors , only drive a 6 rib belt for the accessories. AE: Wtr pump, alt, pwr steering & Air conditioner, and uses a less hardened 10.9 bolt. Were as the v-6 /32 k has a 8 rib & drives a Kompressor plus all the accessiores. Uses a 12.9 hardeness center bolt , Pulled to 147.5Ft Lbs + an additional 90* turn. If I read right the O/P has a N/A 320 V-6.
Torque specifications for the center bolt.
This is one of the most important steps (next to proper seating of the pulley, etc.).
You MUST torque the center bolt to 200 Nm (147.5 ft lb to be exact) and then tighten a further 90 degrees.
There are horror stories all over MBWorld of inproper installations of crank pulleys doing damage to the motor and the culprit in many cases is improper torquing of the center bolt.The center bolt is an M16 x 1.5 x 77 bolt. The MB part number is 112 031 00 71.
This shank length of this bolt is 77 mm long. As you all know, this bolt is designed to stretch slightly upon proper torquing.
Figure 4 shows that according to MB, the center bolt can be used if the shank length is less than 78 mm long.

Figure 5 shows the proper torquing specifications for the center bolt. There has provided this information several times in the past in various threads.
In addition, Figure 5 shows the allowable runout for the pulley after installation. REPOST FRom MB world for M-112k engines ,
I sorry if I miss lead anybody
Cheers _PTEngineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Don't know way DR x removed his post , but it was a very legitimate Question.
I did correct the values on my Post. N/A 112s & 113s motors , only drive a 6 rib belt for the accessories. AE: Wtr pump, alt, pwr steering & Air conditioner, and uses a less hardened 10.9 bolt. Were as the v-6 /32 k has a 8 rib & drives a Kompressor plus all the accessiores. Uses a 12.9 hardeness center bolt , Pulled to 147.5Ft Lbs + an additional 90* turn. If I read right the O/P has a N/A 320 V-6.
Torque specifications for the center bolt.
This is one of the most important steps (next to proper seating of the pulley, etc.).
You MUST torque the center bolt to 200 Nm (147.5 ft lb to be exact) and then tighten a further 90 degrees.
There are horror stories all over MBWorld of inproper installations of crank pulleys doing damage to the motor and the culprit in many cases is improper torquing of the center bolt.The center bolt is an M16 x 1.5 x 77 bolt. The MB part number is 112 031 00 71.
This shank length of this bolt is 77 mm long. As you all know, this bolt is designed to stretch slightly upon proper torquing.
Figure 4 shows that according to MB, the center bolt can be used if the shank length is less than 78 mm long.

Figure 5 shows the proper torquing specifications for the center bolt. There has provided this information several times in the past in various threads.
In addition, Figure 5 shows the allowable runout for the pulley after installation. REPOST FRom MB world for M-112k engines ,
I sorry if I miss lead anybody
Cheers _PTEngineering
You have posted the correct info. My mistake.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks for the replies. And sincere apologies for my late thank you.

The forum app does not alert me to replies. (maybe it can, but I don't know how to set it)

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
43sqd quoted it so the thread looks cleaner now. I was going to delete it after the OP read it.

Thanks for the excellent answer. :thumbsup: Perhaps you will prevent some future disasters if DIY HB-changers take note.

You were only 0.4 ft-lbs out on the stage 1 torque value, but 43sqd is into precision. ;)

I suspect the OP belongs to Gen-Y whom I refer to as the iWant generation.
Gen y at 40?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
I guessed wrong.

You know, I read that harmonic balancer removal is not considered a DIY.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just wanted to add.

I am not looking to REMOVE the crankshaft. I want to turn the engine over manually after pouring BG ISC into the air injection ports.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
I understand now. After 2+ years you've had enough of your wife's reports of her CEL coming on. Have fun with the BG cleaner. Don't forget to use a glass jar.

BTW, your engine was made in Europe where they use the metric system. So get a 27 mm socket.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 BMW 1989 535i
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand now. After 2+ years you've had enough of your wife's reports of her CEL coming on. Have fun with the BG cleaner. Don't forget to use a glass jar.

BTW, your engine was made in Europe where they use the metric system. So get a 27 mm socket.
Yeah, she's had enough as well and wants to sell it. But not before solving this issue. 27mm torx right?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
As per pte's pics, it has an ordinary hex head.

You'll get a lot more for it if CEL isn't on during the test drive.

If you go to User CP and Edit Options, I think you can receive push notifications to your iPhone when someone posts to a thread you started. You can subscribe to other threads too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts