Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 2002 SLK32 AMG, 2007 W164 ML320 CDI
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AMS pulley on my car and it looks like a little wobbling.......it was like that when it was put on about 1 year/12000km ago and with a new belt put on about 5 months ago. I didn't really pay attention to it because it was like that when it was put on but after reading stories that wobbling crank pulley is not normal so thats why I am worrying. Also the 5 month old belt usually have squeking sound when I first started the cold engine in the morning but it goes away after about 5 minutes. Here are 2 videos I took of the crank pulley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rK-WpLvGr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRyO8DAg3R4

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I saw those videos that pulley on the C36 actually like lose u can turn it and move it in the video but mine when I try to move it and turn it with the belt off is just solid I cannot move it at all........even back then when the original pulley was on I notice little wobble as well but is hard to tell because of the all black and rusting pulley. So I really donno if the crank pulley is suppose to wobble a little or no on the car.....=(

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,004 Posts
Any properly designed rotating things SHOULD NOT wobble, period.
Omey at AMS has absolutely NO engineering background. Just do a search and you'll know.

·
Registered
ML430 - sold
929 Posts
Check out this link and youtube video

I'd keep a very close on it as it's likely working loose like several others have in the past.

Looks like you may have caught it in before any serious damage occurs.

Markland556 has had a similar experience recently, see post 12:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c36-amg-c43-amg/1413133-ams-crank-pulley-review-2.html

As did Hooleyboy, to name but two.

I suspect there are fundamental design flaws which result in the pulley working loose over time - most likely the lack of adequate torsional damping (extra mass) which allows the screw thread to back off and or differential thermal expansion which can result in the same effect.

If you opt to keep it in place - I'd check it everyday and listen / feel for any odd vibrations circa 4500rpm.

As RKH mentions there's a ton of information re AMS and Omehomey "performance pulleys" on this site - largely created when Omey was trying to hawk his snake oil on this forum as sponsor - he no longer posts here or is a sponsor, I wonder why ? :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks tim for the info so I guess probably I will put the OEM pulley back on tomorrow or asap I really don't want to take any risk or engine problems! but I am worrying now if that pulley wobble will cause any damage to other pulleys or the whole system...is pretty easy for me to put the original one back on but should I keep my eye on any other stuff afterwards?

·
Registered
ML430 - sold
929 Posts
In my experience...

there's always a small amount of perceived 'wobble' usually visable at low rpm - whether it's real or not is hard to say. Having a strobe light can help determine if its real and how much it's out of true.

My concern would be if it's in the early stages of working loose - if so it can go from a 'normal wobble' to an all out crank slapper in no time at all and thus cause significant damage.

Is it really worth the risk for about 0.4HP gain at best ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very true I don't even know if it has 0.4hp gain I don't really feel anything more powerful at all with the ams pulley but anyways I will keep update after I put the stock pulley back on!

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
I just noticed mine is wobbling quite a bit today! My car died on me earlier so i jumped it off and had the battery and alternator checked. Unfortunately for me, it was the alternator. But while i was looking under the hood during the alternator testing, I noticed a pretty good wobble coming from the fan pulley and heard what sounded like a faint "bearing" noise? This cant be good. I wonder if it's related to the alternator going bad? The car runs like a scalded dog. I just beat a Bentley Continental GT coupe Friday night. I was utterly shocked. So were the two passengers of the Bentley. We pulled over and spoke for about 20 min. They were in utter disbelief, as was I. That car has a twin turbo W-12 engine in it. Anyways, anyone know where to get an alternator for a 2001 E55 at a reasonable price? Dealer wants 535.00 plus install? (edit note: My wobble was from the fan pulley, I do not have an AMS pulley)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I just noticed mine is wobbling quite a bit today! My car died on me earlier so i jumped it off and had the battery and alternator checked. Unfortunately for me, it was the alternator. But while i was looking under the hood during the alternator testing, I noticed a pretty good wobble coming from the fan pulley and heard what sounded like a faint "bearing" noise? This cant be good. I wonder if it's related to the alternator going bad? The car runs like a scalded dog. I just beat a Bentley Continental GT coupe Friday night. I was utterly shocked. So were the two passengers of the Bentley. We pulled over and spoke for about 20 min. They were in utter disbelief, as was I. That car has a twin turbo W-12 engine in it. Anyways, anyone know where to get an alternator for a 2001 E55 at a reasonable price? Dealer wants 535.00 plus install? (edit note: My wobble was from the fan pulley, I do not have an AMS pulley)
Heretic, stop driving now!

This thread is about the crank pulley, but you mention the fan pulley. If you have play and noise from there you're about to lose your water pump and if you do, it may put the fan into the radiator and tear up a BUNCH of other stuff. So while you're fixing your alternator, grab the fan pulley and see if you can move it in and out or back and forth. Any play, replace the WP. Check the tensioner and idler pulleys while you're at it, while you have it apart is the easiest time to take care of such things.

As to your alternator, you need to narrow it down. It's easy enough to change but very often it's just the regulator or the brushes (which come with the regulator) which is very easy to change, too...and lots less expensive. You can always order an alternator from autohausaz or someone like that and change it yourself. So long as you disconnect the battery before you start, it's pretty hard to mess up changing an alternator. But I'd seriously look at the regulator first. Seriously. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Almost all the replacements are remanufactured, the Bosch reman is around $250 plus a refundable core charge, you can get lesser reman's about $150 + core charge.

Make sure you order the correct unit for your car.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Looks like the law of average and statistics is catching up with Omey and sorry to say that msiumng is just a number in the statistics. May be you can contact Omey at AMS to see if you can get your money back? If you follow the threads, Markland556 did get his money back.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol yeah I will see if is possible but the thing is now I don't really worry about the 500 dollar or so I just worry about if the pulley actually damaged anything already I mean the car drives fine and smooth now but who knows something just breaks without any signs before hand...I mean the wobbling I mentioned I don't even know if is actually wobbling as others saids is seems like only like a visual effect and touch wood the car drives perfectly fine and the pulley was on there over 1 year and about 10k miles....but yes I will still put the OEM one back on I guess just that I can sleep better lol

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Yes, throwing away a few hundred for a useless pulley is one thing, damaging your Mercedes as a result of that is quite anther story. And if it fails while you are driving it, then ..........

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pulley: 500
engine damage: 5000
my life: worthless

LOL

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
Sorry to see and hear about your AMS Pulley...that's really terrible in design, yikes!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah I will have to take it off sometime when I have the time just to avoid any future damage or even if is not going to damage anything at the end I will probably still take it off......I just want to have worry free driving lol

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
yeah I will have to take it off sometime when I have the time just to avoid any future damage or even if is not going to damage anything at the end I will probably still take it off......I just want to have worry free driving lol
Oh, so you haven't pulled it. I read your other message and couldn't figure out how you so quickly got to 5K in engine damage.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Sorry to see and hear about your AMS Pulley...that's really terrible in design, yikes!
What design ? AMS did not do any design at all, Omey just took the stock pulley to the Chinese supplier and told them to make one cheaper and lighter. All he knows is: F=M A
(Nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturers as most things are made in China now a days. They can produce good stuffs at a price, but can also make really cheap stuffs too, all to your specification.)

msuimng, I think you should remove it. You'll sleep better at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts