1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2009 SL65, 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
403 Posts
The window tinting on the 84 SEC would have to be removed from the front and door windows before it could be driven in most states.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
That tint may be illegal in California, but front window tint is legal pretty much everywhere else, including Colorado, where this car is. I know it's okay in OR, TX, and NV. CA is the only state I am aware of which prohibits tint on the front passenger windows.

Even so, my stepson has had front passenger tinted windows on I think three different cars, while in Cali, and has never had a problem. Granted, if you get pulled over for something else, you're getting tagged for that, too.

CO does allow for some pretty dark tint, IIRC. I've seen a legal tint chart online, somewhere, and if you're legal in your licensed state, usually you're fine, elsewhere. If California is an exception, I'm not the slightest bit surprised.

I've researched and it seems, based on what I could find in a relative hurry, the only states which prohibit front passenger window tint are:

CA
CO-for vehicles newer than a certain year...I forget what it is, now. Like '97 or something.
IL
NH
NJ
VT

Each state requires variable light transmission, however. TX, thankfully, allows 25%, which is pretty dark.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
227 Posts
did you figure out a way to search all of craiglists at the same time or do you just have a lot of free time??? :)

If there is I way I haven't figured it out, it's a real pain to search every single city when you are looking for something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts