Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 C 300 Sport, 20K miles, Wife drove home from shopping yesterday and said something on the road hit the windshield. It made a small "ding" on the windshield and started to run. When I looked at it , it was a small star burst on right side lower 1/3 position, about 4 inches from the right A-pillar and ran a hair line horizontal to the left. The total length is about 7 inches. I contacted the insurance company and they suggested repair first at no cost, if not repairable or not happy with it, then replace with $500 deductible. I have no experience with windshield repair at all. Is the end result acceptable?? safe??
I looked at some videos on U-tube but none of them shows how the finished product look like. I can choose to replace the windshield but the thought of tempering with the factory seals at this early age, etc. Advices/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
Here is a short video on repairing cracks. If it was my windshield with a crack, I would replace it. If it was just a small starburst, then I would get it fixed.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
110 Posts
Having it repaired is safe and it's hardly noticeable (you can still see the crack if you really look at it). There are $5 kits that you can purchase and do the repair yourself, so it is relatively simple and inexpensive (much better than paying a $500 deductible). A good analogy is if you have a nail in your tire. Would you rather patch it or replace the entire tire every time it happens?

Whatever decision you go with, do it as soon as possible before the crack begins to spread. You won't have the option to repair it when the crack gets too large.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys for the advices. I will try to let them evaluate the crack and if repairable, give it a trial. If not, then I will have to replace it. Thanks again for all the good advices.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A seven inch long crack.....no way.

As far as being concerned about breaking the seal, I'm on my 4th windshield and the replacements aren't a problem leaking. The problem are those darn rocks on the road. There was a thread where it was discussed that the C-300/350 windshields are more prone to having damage from a flying rock.

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
Long cracks - > forget about repair. 2 inches max they will do, I did several times on many cars with good results. Replacing with third party glass could be not as perfect in results. Depends who will do it and what glass it is. Original will cast you lot!!!!

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
We have had very good experience with a national company, Safelite. However, we insist on Original Equipment glass, which they can and will use if requested and which comes with a new signature logo sticker for the lower passenger side corner. The financial coverage then is a matter between you and your insurance company. In our case, the amount was zero. I agree that a 7" long crack is beyond repair and warrants immediate replacement. Repairs are for singular chips or small impact "starbursts".

·
Registered
'98 C230, '08 C300
155 Posts
A flying rock hit the base of my Ford's windshield and horizontal crack is well over a foot long. Been that way for at least 8 years. It's not in my vision, so doesn't bother me. I'll put in new windshield the day before I sell the car.

Would feel differently if it happened to the C300. Surely any decent glass shop can replace the windshield.

OP redlotus, if it's a red Lotus, post a pic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts