Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have aftermarket wheels and the rear right one cracked and the repair shop told me it's good change out the wheel rather than weld it because the wheel is become very porous.

My wheel size is 20x8.5 5x112 but I am not sure of the offset on the wheels. I found on Craigslist single replacement wheel for $25 which looks pretty similar but the size is 20x9 .. 5x112 and again not sure of the offset. Now would the 8.5 to 9 inches make a difference on just one wheel .. how does it affect the driving and balance. And also how important is the offset of the wheel?

Thanks.

·
Purple Moderator
21,705 Posts
I would not change the size on one wheel. Too many components can potentially be affected. By going .5" wider you are going to reduce the sidewall height if the same tire is used.
Wheel speed sensors, ABS, ESP and the AWD system may not be happy.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Not advisable to use different size rims on the same axle, however, with aftermarket rims it is sometimes very hard to find a match because they become discontinued very fast. The ML will most likely not notice the difference because of the 3rd differential. I just got new tires on the front and the rear are @ 50% so they are almost 3/8" different already. I use off road tires so the tread is deeper. You may be able to get away with it but personally I would want the same size all around.

There are places that specialize in rim repair and with good results , check around you may be able to get it fixed depending on the kind of damage it has.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts