Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
What's the name of that piece of molding (black) by the rear window at the corner where the side window and rear window meet. I need to replace it due to a crack from the cold weather we just had. It's for a 1999 ML 320 and if you guys know a place on line that sells this piece I would like that info as well.
see attached file for example

Regards,
BL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts
The part number for the D-Pillar Trim Cover is 163 690 05 87. Then there is an underneath foil protector 163 698 23 89. As for the glue, see below.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. What would be the best option to purchase and install? Should I have MB service dept. install it If I purchase online (where would a good place to buy it online?)
or attempt the install myself probably in the summer since it is winter right now or have a body shop do it?
suggestions?
thanks!
I can't help noticing this crack everytime I pass by the car, it's like looking at dent that only you can see and no one else!
ugh!
BL

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine have all the clear coat peeled off and I want new pieces as well. From what I remember I was told that these are not easy to replace by yourself. Im think of getting them and having my MB mechanic do the work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had mine painted gloss black. The original design will not with stand the Florida sun and heat. I should never have to worry again. And it only cost $130.00!

David

·
Registered
212 Posts
^^^I think thats going to be my plan as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have it scheduled to get it replaced at the end of the month. it's going to cost me $129 for the part and $175 for labor. Has anyone came up with an idea to fill in the crack with epoxy then paint it? probably cost as much to do in labor at a body shop huh?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well, I have it scheduled to get it replaced at the end of the month. it's going to cost me $129 for the part and $175 for labor. Has anyone came up with an idea to fill in the crack with epoxy then paint it? probably cost as much to do in labor at a body shop huh?
Now why would anyone pay $129 for the part it's only $78 from the dealer online and to pay $175 for such a simple job is outrages..
Find yourself a larger bodyshop and you can get that done for less then $150 OTD...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not really.. I'm pretty bad too when it comes to this kind of stuff.. of course it depends how badly they are worn in the first place. Mine looked very good, no peeling or such... only cracked.. I had the right one installed first and couldn't tell a difference at all..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I've just joined up to this forum and have exactly this problem - both sides have cracked on my 320.Does anyone have any idea what adhesive can be used for a DIY replacement of these panels please ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is an old thread. The cracked d-pillar is an old issue. The truck is getting old. Not many people care about the crack on the old truck anymore. I noticed many trucks have the cracked d-pillar.

I think that my truck is in good condition. I just had the spark plugs and fuel filter replaced. As l plan to keep the truck for a while, I decided to replace the cracked d-pillar.

I ordered the d-pillar from parts.com. I ordered the underneath foil protector 163 698 24 89 as 43sqd suggested as well. As to the glue, I ordered it from amazon: 3M 08693 Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive Cartridge.

Getting the cracked d-pillar off was pretty hard at first. Later on, I broke the d-pillar into small pieces with a hammer. The pieces without glue underneath will fall off. For the ones with glue, I used a knife to cut them off. The so-called glue is some hardened rubbish stuff. You need to leave the rubbish stuff as much as you can, so it can be used as a space holder, as Urethane Windshield Adhesive is very soft. You don't want the d-pillar to go too low.

Putting the d-pillar on seems to be simple, although I am not very sure on how to use urethane windshield adhesive. I just applied the adhesive on top of the old hardened rubbish glue with some additional adhesive applied to paint directly. The part underneath foil protector 163 698 24 89 was not used.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My 99 ML has never had any issues with the D pillar. Its got to be a climate/sun exposure/ model year factory issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is some update on the installation:

It turned out that I did not use Urethane Windshield Adhesive properly. One end of the d-pillar came off. The reason, I think, is because I did not apply primer, and I only applied the adhesive to one side.

Here is how I did for the second time:

I used a sand paper to sand both of surfaces to make them rough. Then, I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. Then I applied the Urethane Windshield Adhesive on both surfaces before I put the d-pillar into place, and let the adhesive to dry over night. Now, it has passed one day's southern California sunlight test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts