Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts,
My 2002 e320 4matic wagon key has gotten a crack over the lock button and another one over unlock button. I wonder if I buy a key off of ebay that is the same same type, can I just take the shell off of the new key and put it on my present key? Is there any DIY on how to take apart a key?
Also, I saw some keys that have chrome borders. Will a chrome key shell fit over the guts of a non-chrome key?
TIA.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I'd just order a new key from the dealer and have it programmed for your car.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Hello Experts,
My 2002 e320 4matic wagon key has gotten a crack over the lock button and another one over unlock button. I wonder if I buy a key off of ebay that is the same same type, can I just take the shell off of the new key and put it on my present key? Is there any DIY on how to take apart a key?
Also, I saw some keys that have chrome borders. Will a chrome key shell fit over the guts of a non-chrome key?
TIA.
Just to answer your question: you can change the key covers if you wish and if you find a good used key but it has to be the same key type, the chrome key is a bit different by size. If you find the instructions from your manual on key battery change, you should figure out how to get the circuit board out to be inserted into a new key housing.

Of course a new key (could be the new chrome key) from an MB shop is an option too.

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. A new key would run around $200 from my dealer. I am being cheap and trying to save some money. If I can figure out how to take my key apart, I will try to get another key off ebay. If anyone has done this please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
You can replace the housing, except wagon keys are harder to find since it does not have the trunk button. I just dont know if a sedan housing would fit.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Thanks for the replies. A new key would run around $200 from my dealer. I am being cheap and trying to save some money. If I can figure out how to take my key apart, I will try to get another key off ebay. If anyone has done this please let me know. Thanks again.
I have no opinion on buying a new key against fixing the old one with eBay parts but if you want to fix the old key, as above, read your manual how to take the key battery off. Once you have done that, the key looks like in the attached photo.

Next you should slide a thin knife to the button side of the white nylon bar to release the circuit board and pull it off. Obviously the same with the other key and reassemble the good parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Peter, Kajtek, Diesel and Mercy. I figured out how to take out the batter and I can see the circuit board.
Does the circuit board simply pull out or will I break something if I do that?
Also, there is no where to grab onto the board to pull. The board is flat against one side of the housing so I can't grab it. Any suggestions on how to get the board out is greatly appreciated.
If I can't do this, I will order from Duval. Are they located in Gainesville FL? Do you have to call them and can everything be done online?

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Diesel,
You must have posted while I was typing up my previous post. That is exactly what I needed.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,477 Posts
Personally I like the chrome key so much better, that I would buy it again even having 2 good "old fashion" keys.
$130 is not a big expense for those cars and the impression is PRICELESS>

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Kajtek,
When I did a net search for Duval, I found a mercedes dealer in Gainsville FL. Is that the one you ordered from? Did you have to call them or did you do it all online? Thanks.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,477 Posts
They have Internet inquiry and you can also call them. You need to send them the registration and DL copy. I did it over the Internet, what brought some problems since their server blocked the pictures. Call them and talk to them. Ask for Internet prices.
Salesman email is [email protected]

·
Registered
2002 e320 wagon 4matic
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update. I bought an old key off ebay for $25. Took out the battery and circuit board from my old key and put them in the shell of the key I just bought. Key works fine and now no cracks. If anyone is interested in doing this, it is very simple to do. So when my wife's key cracks, I will do the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Important to note that you have to slide the metal blade between the circuit board and the retaining strip.

Looking at the picture, I was mistakenly thinking to slide between the case and the strip for quite some time -)

As OP mentioned, be careful doing so - basically try to lift board edge of the strip and you see what end hinges into the board itself.

Of course always at your own risk .....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts