Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 SEL 1987
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can be done about the cracked dash that almost every old mercedes gets after time. I would like to repair it so it looks just like new.

·
Registered
91' 560SEL, 03' BMW M3, 94' 500E
222 Posts
i think a lot of people will suggest either getting a dash cover or looking for a new one. im not sure what you can do exactly to repair the crack other than taking it to an automotive upholstery shop and getting a professional opinion, but im sure other members will be able to chime in. hope this helps.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pro help depends where you live

In San Diego, I had a great dash guy thru my indie mechanic who had/knew the process to fill dash cracks in MB perfectly... for the price of a cover I had my '85 190e dash restored to like new. Those repairs have held for over 5 years now.

In Arkansas where i live now, there is nobody within 300 miles that has a clue on how to do that work.

Sometimes checking with your dealer service or customer service manager can scrape up a referral too.

I think cracks honestly are kindof optional depending are the area you live, the humidity, keeping direct sunlight off the dash where possible.. AND importantly some products to avoid like Armorall.. certain products like Armorall provide a gloss, but crack a dash for sure as they dry out (has to due with animal fats/oils)..

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
XRQTA said:
What can be done about the cracked dash that almost every old mercedes gets after time. I would like to repair it so it looks just like new.

Get an expert’s opinion. If not, you could try a vinyl repair kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used a product called Quick Steel on my 560SEL that comes in a small cylinder, its like clay that dries rock hard. After I sealed all the cracks it looked 90% better than it did before with the yellow exposed.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Cracked Dash - Re-Upholster with leather?

Just wondering if anyone has looked into the option of having an upholstery shop cover a cracked dash in leather instead of replacing it.

I understand a New Old Stock (NOS) dash is horribly expensive to buy and install and recovering the dash in leather might be a less expensive option (and an appearance upgrade too :) ). AMG and Deuchatelet offered leather covered dash and consoles as interior upgrades.

I must admit I have no idea how involved such a project would be and if it requires the removal and replacement of the dash I believe just that part requires ~10 hours of shop time.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
There is a few companies out there, such as "JustDashes" that will recover your dash pad for you for about half the price of a new unit.

There is also a company based out of Aostralia that will ship your dash from their office in Oregon and you should get it back in about 2-3 weeks for around $400.

What ever you do, don't fall for the Adsit offer of "new OE dashpads". They are used recovered units that you would be lucky to get the correct one for your car. Then they won't stand be hind their products and will not refund your monies even for sending you a damaged item. I know because I got "screwed" by them on the exact same item.

Regards,

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
My 280 SE previous owner was a firm beliver of Armorall. He thought it would protect the dash from the hot tropical sun. Result, large & small cracks developed on the dash. I tried to repair with the vinyl repair kit purchased from the US , but failed. Had the dash replaced with one purchased from a chopshop. Recommend that the airconditioning evaporator be serviced at the same time when the dash is off the car. Cost of Dash SIN $ 180/- A/C service, Expansion Valve, A/C filter/dryer, fuel accumulator, Labour SIN $ 580/-

·
Registered
420 SEL 1987
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
500MPL, do you know the name of the company in Australia that recovers the dash?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts