Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm a new member and own a C230 Kompressor (year 2000). I'm a DIY-guy and this forum has been quite helpful for learning.
I decided to put this question in the general forum as it could apply to many types of Mercedes.

2 weeks ago, I was replacing my ignition coils and in the process I cracked and broke one of the plastic back cover that protect the car's electric wires that plug into the ignition coil.
That ignition coil was hard to reach and that plasticky part was stubbornly stuck and simply hard to detach from the ignition coil. Btw, if anyone knows an easy way to take it out, pls let me know for next time :)
So now, I'm driving without that plastic cover for that ignition coils. The other one is intact (C230 has 2 coils). There has been no issue so far.

QUESTIONS:
Without that plastic part, am I gonna run into issues long run, e.g. corrosion of the wires or possibly worst ?
And how's that part called? I'm trying to see if I could buy a replacement online.
Is replacing that part an easy task for a beginner DIY?
Many thanks for any advice.

Attaching 4 photos of that part: 1) ignition coil with the back cover 2) ignition coils without it 3) close-up 4) close-up

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,379 Posts
Welcome nguyc230, :)

Did you look to see if there is a part# embossed on it?
Not sure myself if you can even buy just that part in itself. Maybe take that with you and try a pickn pull?

OR,
something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Electronic-Grade-Silicone/dp/B07MKBBQTC
and then cap it, zip tie, if necessary.
More like a goop-type fix, that's dielectric. Not sure if Goop meets the requirement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome nguyc230, :)

Did you look to see if there is a part# embossed on it?
Not sure myself if you can even buy just that part in itself. Maybe take that with you and try a pickn pull?

OR,
something like this - Clear Electronic Grade Silicone - 2.8 oz Squeeze Tube: Silicone Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
and then cap it, zip tie, if necessary.
More like a goop-type fix, that's dielectric. Not sure if Goop meets the requirement.
Thanks Kohmer2! There is a 6-digits number embossed inside and a 10-digits number outside. I did a quick search online but didn't find anything yet. Will try again tomorrow.
I'll probably run to the MB dealer if I can't find any info on it.

Regarding the fix with the silicone, it's not impossible but it was very difficult in my specific case when I tried first:
The overall location is not easily accessible, the broken part is smaller than a thumb so it tends to slip away and I need to first align the 1st broken piece with the wires and all, then slide in precisely the 2nd piece, so I need full light for visibility. When I tried, it was end of day, my shadow made it very difficult to see things and the piece kept slipping away from my thumbs at critical moment, so I gave up. I'll probably try again when the weather is better.

So for now I just want to evaluate the risks of leaving it as-is (if any) and my fixing options.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,379 Posts

So for now I just want to evaluate the risks of leaving it as-is (if any) and my fixing options.
If you can even temporarily tape up (electrical tape) the exposed wiring, that would be better tha leaving it exposed.
I dont believe there is anything conductive nearby for a potential spark to jump over to, if you were to leave it exposed.
I always work on the side of caution when it comes to sparks and live wires. :)

EDIT:
This is off our 99 C230K - IGNITION SYSTEM MERCEDES C 230 KOMPRESSOR (202024)

It doent show that part of yours as a separate component. I could be wrong.
Take this with you to the stealership parts department, they may be able to fine tune it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can even temporarily tape up (electrical tape) the exposed wiring, that would be better tha leaving it exposed.
I dont believe there is anything conductive nearby for a potential spark to jump over to, if you were to leave it exposed.
I always work on the side of caution when it comes to sparks and live wires. :)

EDIT:
This is off our 99 C230K - IGNITION SYSTEM MERCEDES C 230 KOMPRESSOR (202024)

It doent show that part of yours as a separate component. I could be wrong.
Take this with you to the stealership parts department, they may be able to fine tune it.
Sounds like a great idea, and thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts