Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

clk500 died 3 times on me while driving !. i had it towed 2 times. the display says malfunction and all light and check engines in dashboard is on and the fuel meter says empty. Normally i could start the car the day after. I read every possible tread here on errors. everything pointed in the edirection of a crank shaft sensor. the last time it stalled, i could not start it up again the day after...

I ordered a cps and installed it. at the same time i cleaned the maf.

But the car still won't crank up !! i have a completely new key.
my electronics is bad as well after this.

I can't operate my roof
I can only open and close the doors with IR close to the handle.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to disconnect the battery for a whole night.

Nothing changed.

Any fuse i can try to pull out ?
reset computer ?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
Is the key accepted and will it turn? If so, does the engine turn over? If you don't get this far, then it could be a bad vehicle battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the key is accepted. I can crank it up. but to me its: 1) don't get a spark, 2) no ignition 3) CPS input - 4) anti theft system lock out. or something similar.

The way it turns out this 3rd time is exactly as the 2 first times. malfunction is in the display - after 1 day i could start it up like nothing happened.

But now this time I'm not able to start up the engine. New cps, cleaned maf. Charged battery but old. now 13,2 voltage. tried the reset ecu with the 5 seconds speeder trick

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
clk500 died 3 times on me while driving !. i had it towed 2 times.
With intermittent ignition failures like these, I would strongly suspect one of the sensor inputs to the ME-SFI control unit.

As you have changed the CPS, the one I would go for now is the camshaft Hall sensor (B6/1) located at the front of the r/h cylinder bank.

·
18,833 Posts
What "malfunction" message is on the display? You are talking about the LCD multi-function display, right? That would not be something you'd see with a crank or camshaft sensor problem. That is either an unrelated error message, or, it may be a CAN bus problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes lcd display

Little yellow airbag light coming on, display malfunction warning, SRS malfunction.empty fuel tank

·
18,833 Posts
This definitely sounds like a wiring problem that is preventing the various onboard systems to communicate properly. Has any electrical work been done on the car? Radio? SAM's replaced?

·
Registered
470 Posts
This sounds like a classic computer problem. Have you pulled the codes on all the modules? I'd start there if you haven't. Check with a local MB specialty shop that has all the diagnostic scanners. You mayyyy have a bad computer onboard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to my knowledge . A clean title - nothing seems wrong. Original radio.

1)
will i get anywhere with buying one of the cheap obi reader at pepboys for 60 usd and check the codes?

2)
can I pull some fuse and which

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have to admit that my suggestion of the camshaft Hall sensor would not affect the fuel level indicator - or other displays on the Instrument Cluster.

You have such diverse systems failing together that it is useless us giving you suggestions here. As has been stated above, get your car looked at by somebody with the right tools to diagnose module faults.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just put an actron obd pocket reader on the clk500 - it read the computer but it says 0 errors.
I just tried to erased everything and it says done. but nothing happened.

no changes. :-(

·
18,833 Posts
That just means there are no codes in the ECU. You need have someone with Mercedes Star Diagnosis (SDS) check the other systems - EZS, cluster, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOOD NEWS !!!

i took every fuse apart in the whole car.... cleaned everything with CRC electric cleaner !

and guess what !.. when i turned the key it started !!.. Amazing ! people around me ( mechanics) told me i was crazy spending time on that.

i suspect it was from one of the fuses in the trunk, as i think i heard a small click at one of them.
So a loose fuse/dirt !... At least i got a new CPS sensor and cleaned the maf !

thank you all for your response

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Well done.:)

I guess that a module with a fuse problem is just as broken as a module with a fault. A bit surprising that you think it might have been one of the fuses in the trunk as there is not much in there that affects the entire vehicle.

Unless it was f6 that protects the Keyless Go module (N102). Do you have Keyless Go?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im also stunned !.. totally ... no keyless go ... as i remember it was a red fuse ... 5 from top in my car in the trunk... when i heard that click sound.. i noticed it .. but i have been doing so much trouble shooting that i didn't believe.

Well.. everything is working...except the SRS light is on. I think it came on because of heavy rain one night, were the car was parked outside with a cover on - without roof because everything was dead. the storm blew the cover off and lots of water came in :-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts