Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC 1999 ML 320 (sold) 2008 C350 4Matic amg pack
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So far I've read different threads and came along many answers that stipulates ignition problems (fail to start, but then starts, a minute or two later, sometimes more, like there were no problem at all) And car dying at low RPMs (like sitting on a red light or running at low speed) could be reliable to a typical CPS cable misfunction (from too high resistance?). Any other suggestions? If I buy a new one, will it be subject to the same misfunctions? Though I know you all been through this a couple of time already, I'm asking for some kind of confirmation that I'll be doing the right move. My car has the above specified disease and I hope I can help it. Thanks for your replies and patience...

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC 1999 ML 320 (sold) 2008 C350 4Matic amg pack
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone?

Ok. Maybe I had a bad day. However I would appreciate some kind of an answer, by someone qualified (which I'm not), at least to reply something like: man, your english is terrible or we've been through this in X number of threads or clean ICV or yes, change CPS or just anything else than no answer at all. Sorry for beeing impatient. Thanks to eventual good samaritans!

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
OK, I'll give it a whirl.

Mine suffered from the same symptoms a few weeks ago. An additional symptom to yours was that wen I put the hammer down at say 70, the engine just died.

- First I cleaned and tested the ISV. After cleaning and starting the idle was all over the place for a few minutes, but then it settled down and became rock-solid. It did NOT, however, cure the difficult starting and the cutting out.

- Then I changed the distributor, rotor and HT coil. They were very worn. But nothing improved untill I...

- Took out the spark plugs. Turned out there wer R plugs in there. I swapped them for the correct NGK's, and since then it does no longer die when driving.

The difficult starting has all but gone. And has even improved after I ran 3 quarts of injector cleaner in 7 gallons of gas.

- The car had a little 'shudder when running idle. This has completely disappeared now I've put 93 octane in it instead of 91. I HAD changed the fuel selector for 91, but maybe something is not working as it should.

What I am left with now is that although its starts as soon as I turn the key, it sometimes dies again or run really roug. I then have to 'blip' the throttle to 2000 rpm, it coughs once, and then proceeds to run smooth as silk (except for valve tapping, but that needs fixing seperately).

I'm going to have a loop at the FPR and solenoid next. I figure these are the last 2 components that may cause this funky starting issue. AND vacuum hoses. There's a million miles of them, and a 1000 connectors, all of which could cause something similar to this.

So, you see, there's probably a million things that can go wrong. You just start at one end and work your way through to the other.

Good luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts