Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been skeptical of CPO vehicles and paying the extra dollars for having them "certified". It seems as though Mercedes adds a premium to the price of about $2k and adds a year of warranty, and if the customer doesn't have $2k of work done, MB wins the hedge.

I've always thought the 150+ or 300 point inspection or whatever they tout is a sham. My thoughts were confirmed when we brought home our CPO GLE 350 and the Drivers side Mirror would not retract as there is a separated and cracked piece of plastic on it preventing proper operation. Seems like this would get noticed during the "multipoint inspection".
I've owned almost every luxury car brand and this is my first Mercedes. The first week of ownership hasn't been great.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,224 Posts
What did the dealer say about them fixing the mirror?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,344 Posts
Hey MAN, we are only humans...
But be patient. MB might have some glitches, might have some lousy maintenance, but is still good base and fun to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did the dealer say about them fixing the mirror?
Dealer took car in to fix mirror. Sure they are standing behind the warranty, maybe slightly reluctantly. And since I send same inquiry to MB use, I think the dealership got a call. It is a small inconvenience to take a car in for repair that we just brought home a day ago. My issue is that the "million point"inspections are BS. Any amateur that pushes buttons and takes a close look would see this mirror was clearly broken. Bottom line is they didn't do the inspections they say they did and why do we pay for this? I'd rather they be transparent and say, "you're getting a used car, that has high maintenance costs. A warranty for an additional year will cost you $2k". vs "we did this amazing inspection and the value of this walk around and detail is $2k".

Mercedes wrote me back and said they set the criteria for CPO but ultimately it's up to the dealer to check all the boxes. My theory is they really don't check boxes and hope to get away with it. So far, my theory is correct.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,668 Posts
My experience of these inspections from any dealer or make is its complete bollocks. We had an absolutely shocking one year old Jag last year. Super certified and checked. Lol! How a one year old car with 12k miles on it could have so much amiss and not even be vacuumed inside, let alone the rest of the checks. Absurd.

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
88 Posts
Mercedes...said they set the criteria for CPO but ultimately it's up to the dealer to check all the boxes. My theory is they really don't check boxes and hope to get away with it. So far, my theory is correct.
My experience of these inspections from any dealer or make it its complete bollocks. We had an absolutely shocking one year old Jag last year. Super certified and checked. Lol! How a one year old car with 12k miles on it could have so much amiss and not even be vacuumed inside, let alone the rest of the checks. Absurd.
My experience has been exactly the same over my last four CPO cars.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,945 Posts
You can add my one and only CPO E500 to that same list of feeble inspections if at all.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,344 Posts
I'd rather they be transparent and say, "you're getting a used car, that has high maintenance costs. A warranty for an additional year will cost you $2k".
How many buyers you think will decline the warranty, only to bitch about poor MB quality later when they'd have to pay cash for wear outs?
I never buy CPO period, so I don't have dog in this fight, but when checking out 300 items on PPI list for CPO, I never heard about CPO coming with bold tires or wear brakes.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,668 Posts
Our Jag needed new brakes all round. Spare tyre was missing for unknown reasons. One rear tyre was the wrong size for the wheel and was dangerous apparently, and so on. Mental really.
Also it's been done well but one side and the front clip has been repainted. No accidents listed. Lol...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts