Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 ML500
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 ML 320...as far as I know, no BOSE, but I dont really know how to tell, I have read that it should say BOSE on the MCS screen if nothing else but mine doesnt so i assume its not.

The guy is is selling OEM Bose out of an 05 or something...HU, amp and all speakers...now does my non-BOSE have an amp that I would replace it with, or would I have to "add" the amp?

Im assuming all the speakers are a direct fit so Im not too worried about that...but I just wanted to confirm that I dont need to change the MCS/HU for the upgrade? ...and also wondering if I have an amp at all, which I assume would make it easier to replace with the BOSE one instead of adding it ?

Lastly, is it worth the upgrade?...im not looking for a great great sound system, but something that just fits in withouth mods and is still OEM so i figured this may be a good option?

·
Registered
SL320/ML320
169 Posts
My 00 does not say bose on the MCS yet it has the bose system. If you have the amplified sub woofer under the driver's seat it will say bose on it.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
You should look...

No offense, but the Bose "sub" is hard to hear even when its there ... upgraded OEM gear is a good idea, but really the "Bose" system is relatively low poer, running thru 2 ohm speakers to make a bleep...

The non-Bose was even weaker (hard to believe) I guess it all comes down to what you are going to pay..

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
BOSE is junk: if there is no high and no low, it must be BOSE

The bose speakers are just paper cones, cheap piece of crap made in the US of A.
save yourself the headache. you can just replace the door speakers to better quality speakers as a first step.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Not true for the V8 model sound systems. The upgraded Bose stereo is quite good with a full clean sound. My bass/subwoofer is actually a little too strong for my taste and I have to turn the bass control down a notch or two.

I should mention that I am not a Bose fan in general, but the upgraded ML system does work.

DelJ

supradupe said:
BOSE is junk: if there is no high and no low, it must be BOSE

The bose speakers are just paper cones, cheap piece of crap made in the US of A.
save yourself the headache. you can just replace the door speakers to better quality speakers as a first step.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
DelJ said:
My bass/subwoofer is actually a little too strong for my taste and I have to turn the bass control down a notch or two.

BOSE is always muddy Mid-Bass Heavy. That IS the BOSE sound. That's why it's so annoying to listen to for me. No low end either.

That said, it does seem to work for many people and in the end it's up to what each person's standard or reference is. So perhaps the BOSE "upgrade may work for you. Heck I don't like the 6 subwoofer, I never put cargo in my trunk, installations either

·
Registered
06 ML500
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess if its only a couple hundred bucks and much cheaper than replacing the speakers and getting a new amp ill end up spending more...so if its worth the price i guess ill just stick to bose..

i dont know if this was answered yet...but is there an amp with non-BOSE, and if so how hard is it to add one/ do i need to change the HU to the one from the BOSE as well?

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
you will likely hear improvements by replacing the door speakers alone. There are good quality after market speakers that fits the ML, 6.5" front 5.25" rear. Your total cost to get 2 pairs of speakers will be less than $300, more likely around $200.

·
Registered
06 ML500
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it all depends on pricing...if the BOSE is only gonan cost as much as a couple of aftermarket speakers, no amp...then it maybe the better deal....not keeping the car forever...

·
Registered
2000 ML-430 Polar White
319 Posts
I have the Bose premium sound on MY00 430 and i like it, it shakes the mirrors, make people who ride with me ask to turn the basss off. far better than many other stock audio systems i have seen, even stock premium audio systems. just my 2 cents, i don't have a ton of experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts