Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm having a issue with taking apart the convertible top cylinder on my 1998 SL-500.

The top convertible cylinder was leaking real bad. It still worked but not after spilling an ounce of fluid onto the passengers lap!

So, like many of you, i purchased the o-ring repair kit.

There's a number of videos online that shows R & R on this. The problem is that most them gloss over the removal of the C-clip which was turned into my nightmare. They make is sound easy. it's not. Taking everything apart was relative easy up until that point and cant seem to figure out how to remove the c-clip so I have had to re-assemble the bad cylinder back into the A-Pillar.

I spent over 2 hours trying to pry that stupid clip out of it's groove.

The videos suggest grinding down a small screwdriver and prying the clip out. This was pretty much useless for me.

Am I missing some easy step here? I can't dig that clip out for anything. FYI, I clearly have the removable C-clip that fits in the groove and not the permanent clip that some of these apparently have.

I'm almost ready to just buy a rebuilt cylinder... but am frustrated that I can't do this easy fix and want to give it on more try.

What's the trick in getting that C-Clip out? Please help.

Greg

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. That is an option, but it would side-line my vehicle for a while.

I was hoping to fix these on my own since I already spent money on the kit.... however, sending it out or buying rebuilt cylinders may be what i end up doing.

I was hoping there was an answer on how to remove the c-clip... maybe it's one of those things that's easier said than done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm having a issue with taking apart the convertible top cylinder on my 1998 SL-500.

The top convertible cylinder was leaking real bad. It still worked but not after spilling an ounce of fluid onto the passengers lap!

So, like many of you, i purchased the o-ring repair kit.

There's a number of videos online that shows R & R on this. The problem is that most them gloss over the removal of the C-clip which was turned into my nightmare. They make is sound easy. it's not. Taking everything apart was relative easy up until that point and cant seem to figure out how to remove the c-clip so I have had to re-assemble the bad cylinder back into the A-Pillar.

I spent over 2 hours trying to pry that stupid clip out of it's groove.

The videos suggest grinding down a small screwdriver and prying the clip out. This was pretty much useless for me.

Am I missing some easy step here? I can't dig that clip out for anything. FYI, I clearly have the removable C-clip that fits in the groove and not the permanent clip that some of these apparently have.

I'm almost ready to just buy a rebuilt cylinder... but am frustrated that I can't do this easy fix and want to give it on more try.

What's the trick in getting that C-Clip out? Please help.

Greg
see page 43 in the link, read through, it's important to support the cylinder well as you have to press down very firmly on the circlip. It also helps to tap down on the rod cap before prying out the circlip, which releases some tension against the circlip before wedging the screwdriver tip between the circlip and cylinder body. Hope the notes help some.

https://app.box.com/s/r77ayjserlpmzh0xu3fywa260xfgdj82

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,142 Posts
TH offers a core exchange program. That’s what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed...
Order new from Klaus, send yours in for core credit, provided you haven't screwed the pooch with it. Only way to fly unless you possess infinite patience, speciality tools, or super-human alacrity with miniture hydraulics...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had the same issue. Drilled a small hole through the valve body in line with the groove. Drill where the gap in the clip is. Then rotate the end of the clip over the hole, and push the one end out with a small drift punch. Deburr the hole if necessary, especially before reinstallation. No problem. Would advise you get the proper seals as opposed to o-rings. Try mbseals.

Cheers, phendriks

Edit. Don't forget to compress cylinder fully before drilling, in case you punch thru and hit shaft.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phendriks: This is a great idea. Thank you.

The hole will not affect performance of the cylinder. I thought of doing something along these lines but was afraid to mess with it. Glad to hear someone did this with success. Oh, and yes, I did get the proper seals. I mentioned O-rings, but in reality it's the right kit with seals made from a special compound that's supposed to be way better than what originally in the cylinder from MB.

Greg

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I was able to get back to my top cylinder repair and seal replacement today.

I followed phendriks advice on drilling a small hole through the body and it worked like a charm. However, the whole job took me a lot longer to than I expected. Once I got the C-clips off they were a bitch betting back on... so the whole thing took about 3 hours before I got everything back together. One of the keys to getting the clip back on is making sure the whole shaft assembly is pushed way back into the cylinder. I used a 9mm deep socket to push the shaft assembly firmly into the bore. After that, the clip went in a lot easier.

Attached is a pic showing where I drilled the hole.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
graftdesign
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing